Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem : The problem is that on my friends laptop, the DVD drive shows up in hardware "Device Manager" with an exclamation mark meaning the driver isn't installed. But when I go into "Disk Management" or "My Computer" the drive doesn't show up at all. How do I get it to read the drive again?

What used to be wrong was that the driver just wasn't current, but cd's could be played and My Computer would read the drive and everything. It was just that we needed the cd that had the driver on it, because it wasn't offered online.

Things I have tried :

Uninstall driver, Restart Computer.
Disable drive, Re-enable drive.
Manually Remove the drive, Put it back in. (with the computer off)

I don't know why it won't read the drive in My Computer anymore and why it isn't accessible. Please help. Thank you.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
An yellow exclamation mark usually means there is a conflict. The yellow ? means there is a driver issue.
Actually you dont need drivers but firware updates. You failed to mention the make/model of the DVD/RW Drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea, it is an exclamation mark, and properties says that there is a driver conflict. the make and model is "QSI DVDRW SDW-042".

I looked for the driver before but couldn't find it anywhere online. I can get the cd with the driver on it, but it's somewhere else at the moment, and I kinda doubt I'll be able to install it since the drive itself is not being read.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
After reading up on your particular drive it seems everybody is having issues with that model. QSI releases firmware only to OEMs like Acer, not to end users.
Your best bet would be to locate that cd you have and use it, your out of luck finding an update on the internet.

One site did say you can use the EDW-042 update. You can download it from http://www.nu-europe.com/Support/Products/EDW042.html
EDW042 is a external version os SDW042.

(http://dvd.box.sk/board.php?did=multDVD drives firmware&closed=0&lastx=15)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.