Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am really hoping someone can help me out with this as it is driving me mad!

Before I start I would like to point out that I am a fairly experienced PC engineer, I have built nearly 200 PCs so I am hoping the fault is not caused but something stupid that I have done, but I won't rule it out!

Anyway I have just completed a new system based around an Athlon64 3000. The drives are 200GB Maxtor ATA and a LiteOn CD/DVD RW Combi drive. When I first start the system up and install windows XP (Home edition in this case) all is well.

Once the customer has had the PC for a few days it starts to freeze when playing DVDS or any media files from the optical drive.

I have had the computer back three times I have been through every combination of master / slave and primary / secondary bus configurations but the problem always seems to re occur.

If I re install windows the problem is cured but seems to re occur after a few days. Incidentally there doesn't seem to be any problems reading the windows CD whilst installing. However when the fault occurs I have tried to copy a couple of 500K jpgs from DVD to the desktop and it took about 3 minutes which is obviously way too long.

I have tried new IDE cables, I have tried connecting with different connector on the IDE cable.

At the moment I have the HD set to master on Primary IDE with the CD/DVD set to slave on the primary IDE. Is there an advantage to going for CS maybe? Although I have tried it doesn't work. Could it be a problem with the IDE controller on the M/Board?

I can't think of what else to try so would appreciate any help and hints!

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i usually put the cd on the second eide as master
try another cd drive
try another video card
test the ram
check what they have loaded onto the computer after returning it to them
do you use quality p/s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I can tell no software has been installed by the customer. I have tried it on the Secondary IDE channel and if anything its worse. The Ram tests fine and is good quality as are all the components.

I am sure this is software based as it seems to clear after a re-install of windows. Something seems to be making it difficult for the drive to read dvds.

The software installed is Win XP Home, Nero 6, Nero Power DVD, iTunes, VLC and Media player.

Of course thats not to say something nasty hasn't been downloaded!

Any ideas anyone? :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
incd and virtual drive parts of nero are known to cause problems,usually will not see the disk at all
have you checked the device manager for any yellow alongside of anything and checked that dma is still enabled and not reverted to pio
try shutting down the startup programs one at a time to see if one of them is causing it
with it being ok leaving you,it points to something the customer is doing after they get it back
post a hijack log for one of the experts to check

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ quantegy
A couple other things to try in addition to what dai suggests.

Go 'start>programs>administrative tools>component services>services(local)>IMAPI CD-Burning... and set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.

You can also check your ASPI layer. It is usually not needed for WinXP, but sometimes other programs still use it. The layer version 4.60 is known as a more stable version than latter 4.71 versions. It has been known to solve problems similar to yours. Take a look at ForceASPI and see if it is something that you'd like to try. There is also an ASPIchecker there, but Nero infotool also displays aspi info.

Keep us posted of your progress :sayyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.