Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day, I was watching a movie on a DVD ( there are like 3 .avi files, and no autorun file) and everything was so normal. The day after when I found that my comp did not recognize the DVD-Rom as no icons (D:) showed in My Computer. I tried to look in the Device Manger and there was no DVD-Rom. I pushed the eject button and the disk wouldnt come out; no lights on DVD-Rom flashed either.
I thought that was just a once-in-a-while problem so I restarted my comp. Well, I got my DVD-Rom icon back in My Computer, also in the Device Manager. That's good but only problem is that the DVD-Rom no longer can read any DVDs. I've tried couple of others DVDs but no good. First, I find that the DVD-Rom is Not Responding so I have to End Task in the Windows Task Manager. When I try to read the disk the second times, the DVD-Rom tell me to :" Please insert a disk into drive D:"

I dont know what happened to my beloved DVD-Rom. Hope you guys can help!!!

Any suggestions is warmly welcome!! Many thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dai said:
check the cables are secure
uninstall and reinstall your burning software
Thx for the fast reply!!!

I'm gonna check the cables but one thing I know for sure is that I dont have any burning softwares at all!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I was totally out of my mind at the last post! Actually, I do have a burning software called Alcohol 120%. I have been using Anti Blaxx and Alcohol 120% to run a game for like 2 weeks. I didnt spot any problems at all until the day the DVD drive disappeared.

Do you that is the cause?

Thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
dai said:
uninstall and reinstall and see if the problem is gone
I've uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem's still there.
By the way, the DVD-Rom can currently read the CD-Rom and can play an audio CD. It just can not do the job of a DVD-Rom which is reading DVDs.
I've tried the troubleshooting helps from Windows but nothing good. ( also different things like updating, checking cables).

I cant think of others problem! Plz help me out!

PS: I've got rid of Alcohol 120% and Anti-Blaxx. Also cleaned out the registry by using Tune Up Utilities.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
it sounds like either the laser is dirty or it has had it,if it is recognising cd's with no problems

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dai said:
it sounds like either the laser is dirty or it has had it,if it is recognising cd's with no problems
What does it mean by "it" ?

So if the laser is dirty and I suppose the only to sort the problem is a cleaning CD/DVD, isnt it?

Thx!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ thachcucngon
If I may throw my opinion in, I am inclined to go with dai's feeling that your drive's DVD laser has died. It probably happened at the same time it went offline. The laser dying probably caused it to go offline. Sometimes it is a power surge or a lack of power or sometimes they just fail. After all the good troubleshooting steps you did(firmware flash/ reinstall drive/reinstall burning software/checked your cables) and you have full CD functions and NO DVD functions, it points to your DVD laser is dead. To clarify, there are two lasers in a DVD/CD drive, one for DVD and one for CD.

If it is a fairly new drive as Terrister is hinting at, you may be able to return it as defective. If it is older than a year, the seller or manufacturer may not take it back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Terrister said:
How old is the drive? What is the make/model?
My DVD-ROM is 3 or 4 year old but I dont think thats problem. My housemate also has the same problem as I do. His DVD drive (his and mine) went dead 2 days after mine did. I'm inclined to blame on the softwares that we were using which calls Alcohol 120% and Anti-Blaxx. The story started when I completed the download of Football Manager 2006 (alcohol image files). So we had to use Alcohol AND Anti-Blaxx to run this game (we played LAN).

After a week or so, my DVD-Rom coudnt read DVDs anymore and my housemate also found the same problem couple of days later. There is one odd thing though. The other 2 guys in the house also played FM2006 the way we did (we played 4 teams on LAN) but none of any problems occurred with their DVD-drives. The only thing I can think of is that they only have single DVD-Rom drives (only DVD-Rom, NO CD-rom) and the other guy and I have both DVD-Rom and CD-Rom separately.

Hope this would ring some thing up for you guys.

Thx.

Btw: DVD-Roms' age: the 2 which have problem: 3 years and 1.5 years.
the 2 which are still fine: 6 months and 5 years.
That quite says ages dont have anything to do with this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.