Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.
I came home one nite to find my compaq presario 2100 AMD 2600+ off. i had left it on.
i turned it on and got the SMART message, and when i tried to get past it, operating system not found. So i took it to a computer repair shop. they put a new hard drive in it, turns out mine was toast. then they tried to re-install windoz XP, but my DVD/cdr drive wasn't working, they managed to install from a dvd USB drive.
anyway, i have windows XP pro back again, and everything is working fine, but the DVD/cdr drive still isn't anywhere to be found.

i tried the registry fix located here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
one thing to note, there was not an UpperFilters key, only a LowerFilters key.
even though it said proceed to method 2 if both weren't there, i deleted the lowerfilters key because i knew method 2 wouldn't work.

nothing worked. also, i wasn't able to use method 2 because there isn't even a category for the DVD/CD drives in device manager. i tried scanning for new hardware, nothing.

any new ideas? or suggest i'm doing something wrong? i've been looking around on the web and a few forums using search function, but nothing has turned up any results. ???????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, for the record, the DVD drive was not taken out or anything, and had worked with all functions before the SMART message.
it still has power and can eject and receive CDs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
where you behind the counter when you brought it into the shop
i dont trust shop people and sometimes they disconnect **** without knowing it
check your jumpers and power supply cords and make sure it is all hooked up right

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah. i was there. you can just slide the drive out by unscrewing two screws.
i can't believe two pieces of hardware would just fail simultaneously.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Is the DVD drive being seen by the bios?
Have you checked the cable at the motherboard?
Is your HDD and DVD on the same cable?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.