Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently hooked up my Toshiba SD-M1102 DVD ROM drive and I have been having numerous problems with it since. As it is a partly outdated drive I can find no documentation but I believe this to be a more general problem. When attempting to make a DVD-Rom to insstall a game to work I have no results and when I click the drive all it says is that there is no disk in the drive. Now when I insert a CD-Rom it instantly works and once in awhile such as after restarting my computer and before testing the DVD-Rom installation disk for my game I can get a movie to work but if I insert any DVD-Rom besides a movie after I test the movie nothing happens not even the previous movie will load without restarting my computer. When I hooked up the drive and started my computer it did a plug and play install and I don't believe they are the correct drivers for installing a DVD-Rom game or any DVD that doesn't deal with media. I have seen this problem encountered many times before just never a straight or correct answers and I was hoping that on here that could be different. Please help me solve this problem. :sad:

P.S. This drive hasn't been used very much at all before now even though it is old. I am positive that the drive functions fully and that this is a software problem.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Im a little confused,,You can play cd-roms? right? You can play media that
is in a cdrom type format? But when you try to play dvd's, or install a game
from a dvd, that does not happen right? If that is the case the laser has
burnt out, or is dirty malfunctioning on the dvd side of the burner/player
Two different lasers, one for cd's one for dvd's. My bad,,look for k-lite
codec pack, you need different codecs to read dvd's. wish I would have
read post more clearly..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ lonerayven
I didn't see any firmware upgrades for your drive at the Toshiba website . Your drive is a bit old and I suspect it may not be able to read/recognize some discs. It also could be some driver/filter issue where the previous program is still polling your drive. It could also be WinXP isn't playing nice with this older drive. Some older DVD-ROM drives prefered to be masters and not slaves, so you could try that. Check also to see you have the jumpers placed correctly. Do you have SP2 installed? I think SP2 solved some DVD compatability problems. You may want to invest in a new drive as they are fairly cheap these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.