Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dvd drive is a philips dvd+-rw dvd8701 and it used to work just fin i used sonic dla that came with the dell, then sick of all the junk they put on it i formated and eventually did it again, and now just after a fresh install it stooped working, i don't have the original discs that came with it so i got the drivers from websites. but now it wont write to a dvd using nero trying to burn ubuntu to a dvd i get done and everything looks good and nero finishes but then the stupid windows pop up baubles come up saying you have files waiting to be written so i click it and no file shows up, ive never had an issue with a optical drive so i am clueless and don't know what to try

·
Registered
528 Posts
Check the device manager. Do you have any yellow exclamation points next to any of the devices. Under DVD/CD-ROM drives, does your DVD burner show up?

My first thought is you might have installed the wrong drivers. Make sure you have the correct driver for your make/model of DVD burner. Make sure the drivers are current and/or are the acceptable drivers for the service pack that you are using.

Lydokane

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant find any drivers for my dvd drive, but serching around i found some people that crossflashed it to this BenQ DVD DD DW1640 so i tryed that and it said that device is not allowed to be updated what? well anyways i havnt realy gotten any more progress

·
Registered
528 Posts
i cant find any drivers for my dvd drive, but serching around i found some people that crossflashed it to this BenQ DVD DD DW1640 so i tryed that and it said that device is not allowed to be updated what? well anyways i havnt realy gotten any more progress
Just so I'm sure. Was the cross flash successfull?

Lydokane

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's the senile guy again, here. :)

You shouldn't need drivers to burn if you have a recent enough copy of the burning software that it covers your burner or similar burners.

The burning software is the driver, right?

Am I about to get red-faced? :) :redface:

JB

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's the senile guy again, here. :)

You shouldn't need drivers to burn if you have a recent enough copy of the burning software that it covers your burner or similar burners.

The burning software is the driver, right?

Am I about to get red-faced? :) :redface:

JB
Not necessarily. I am under the impression that the driver is a piece of software that allows the device to comminicate with other devices and/or software. If he doesn't have the correct driver the device will not be able to properly communicate with any software package.

Lydokane

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not necessarily. I am under the impression that the driver is a piece of software that allows the device to comminicate with other devices and/or software. If he doesn't have the correct driver the device will not be able to properly communicate with any software package.

Lydokane
OK, :redface: :redface:

I thought that the basic interactions were atapi compliant in both cdrom and dvdrom ide functions, and that the burning software had the drivers for burning built in.

I thought that windows could handle all atapi functions natively.

Ever remember installing a driver for a cdrom or dvdrom in windows? We used to have to do it in dos, and we still need them for scsi drives, but ide atapi?

I'll check it out some more - I've been wrong tons of times before. I'd always rather learn than stay misinformed :) ...:4-dontkno

JB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found one and once again it says the divice is not allowed to be updated
heres a screen

i am using nero 7 ultra ed. if thats anything to it,

·
Registered
275 Posts
any way anyone could get a link to a site with a free driver?
Did you install all of the basic motherboard chipset drivers? A whole lot of things won't work if you forget to do that...and that includes your dvd.

JB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i just reinstalled xp pro not even a month ago so all my drivers should be up to date, another thing is that this computer has had odd issues ever since i got it, sometimes when installing programs inbetween cd or dvd switches it wont start the install again and just sit idle, ive had all kinds of problems like this so i usualy end up creating a img of cds and usinge virtual drives but now i need a boot cd of linux and cant burn the iso

another thing, the driver version is 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001

·
Registered
275 Posts
i just reinstalled xp pro not even a month ago so all my drivers should be up to date,
OK, good job.

Now, after you installed windows, as a separate task, did you specifically install all of the motherboard chipset drivers for the brand and model and chipset configuration of motherboard you have? If not, you'll have all kinds of strange issues.

JB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after a long time of seaching and trying to find out what kind of mobo i have i turned up nothing and dell gave me a bs response, so i am not toaly sure as what it is nor do i realy know how to tell but i installed the intell chipset software that dell said i needed, a few specs of it if that will help,
the chipset is 955x
i got 1 pci x16 and 1 x4 a few pci slots and 4 ddr2 slots i got 2 1 gb sticks in it, a pentium EE at 3.2 and 3 wd raptors in raid 0 which game me a hell of a problem and had to create a custom install disck to install the storage manager so i could run them
i also upgraded the bios from a03 to a04

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry about that worthless link I posted earlier. I thought it had a download link on that page.

Here's the deal. Finding a driver for this drive as a Phillips or BenQ seems to be impossible. What is in the device manager for this drive?

For now, my only suggestion is to find a different copy of the BenQ firmware that you downloaded.

I'll get on tomorrow and see if I can find anything else to help you out.

Lydokane

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
right click on the drive listing in the device manager and uninstall
right click again in the device manager and scan for hardware changes and windows will reinstall the driver
while in the device manager click on view at the top and then click on on show hidden devices
then go down the listings and see if there is any yellow alongside of any entries
except in rare cases windows supplies the drivers
when a drive is rebadged the firmware is usually from the rebadger not the maker

·
Registered
275 Posts
after a long time of seaching and trying to find out what kind of mobo i have i turned up nothing and dell gave me a bs response
Do you know about Everest? It might tell you, even with a Dell. It may well tell you at least what the chipset it.

Google for and get Everest Home edition, install and run it and you'll get a ton of info about your system.

I'm surprised that you can't find the drivers on Dell's site by model number, but...

JB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.