Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My DVD drive will explore and view photos or play movies on a disc but will not autorun it correctly, meaning I can't install anything.

This happened shortly after I installed new ASPI drivers but having removed them and also reinstalled older ASPI drivers the problem is still the same.

When I put in discs I'm getting error messages relating to ''autorun''.

Any suggestions?.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in my computer right click on the drive,and choose properties and click on the autoplay tab and see if you can set it up
if you cannot then in the run box type
sfc /scannow
and press enter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing has changed.

Different restore points didn't work.

The 'right-click' autorun only worked for the Windows cd.

''sfc /scannow'' ran and completed it's run but then disappeared without any messages - is that supposed to happen?.

One disc gave an error of ''missing .dll'' ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry..what am I supposed to do there?.

I did what you said previously and uninstalled ASPI, I've used ASPICHK to check and it's confirmed there's none installed.

I've gone to a link on that site and purchased a 7 day lease for PC MightMax but that hasn't fixed it either....even after it detected and fixed two errors as I ran a disc.

Would trying a different drive in the machine work, do you think?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My problems started with ASPI so I don't think I need them installed at all.
As far as I have gathered ASPI doesn't get installed with XP.
I've tried versions 4.6 and 4.7 along with having none and the problem is still here.

What I may have done to screw things up was follow these instructions by adaptec:

''For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32 or c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP64. Then select the OK button to run the XP installer.''

I think I remember putting xp64 as I have an Athlon 64 and then I redid it and put in XP32 because I thought DVDDecrypter wasn't working.

Can you see any problem with this?....I don't know what an Itanium processor is...and why did they give instructions only for Intel's chip?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't have ASPI installed before so I don't understand why I should suddenly need it..but so be it.....I have an up-to-date virus scanner and constant pest patrolling and regular scans so there's no infection that I can see.
I gather from reading around that Adaptec don't want anyone installing ASPI and that there's a load of different drivers for it - so I presume I just have to find the right combination/driver.

Although I get the feeling a reinstall is what I'll end up having to do here.

Thanks for your help anyway dai.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.