Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so my dvd burner drive will read cds just fine... havent tried burning anything... It does read SOME older dvds, iv never had a dvd drive before so i dont know whats normal but it makes sortof an odd clicking noise, and i cant hear it spin fast like with my other cd drive... when i put in a newer dvd, it doesent read, i open up my computer to see if it reads, and explorer stops responding... great.. soo.. can anybody help me out here? id like to get some dvds riped to fill up my new 80 gb ipod video (the black one)

Edit: in the device manager, the dvd drive is called
" _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD "
Yes i have checked for driver updates, and i get nothing. I have all software updates from windows update
Yes my dvd lense is clean! i ran the dvd lense cleaner several times, which had a small affect, i even pulled the dvd drive apart to clean the lense with a q tip, with another small improvement, and ran the dvd lense cleaner another 10 times... still crashes windows, i dont think it has anything to do with hardware, i think its the software, and i think it has something to do with those dvds that have special features made for your computer.. like the dvd rom ones..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K so i looked on that site for the firmware.. couldnt find the model im using, searched on google for it, found a bunch of forums with ppl saying they cant find the firmware too, people in the forums were saying you should cross flash your firmware from a diffrent model number.. did that.. my 2100 a is now 2510, searched for updated drivers again nothing.. still when i insert some dvds, it laggs, while its reading, i cant open any folders or anything.. but when i press eject, the folders open up.. anyways.. yeah.. i dunno *** your talkin bout my connectors... its just installed as is, the way i got the computer... basic stock installation, havent touched the drive.. but yeah.. i dont feal like checking my jumpers and cables and pulling the drive again, so i will check the bios to see what its set at and get back to you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k so in the bios it says my dvd drive is set as secondary master.. seems fine to me.. now what.. >: P yeah.. its a bit annoying

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey.. off topic, but how do i set a costom avitar for my profile? couldnt find a link, seems like its admin only or sumthin

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
for a personel avitar
you need to be on a team
donate to the forum
have a certain amount of posts i think it is 500 not sure no interest in it
look at the cable does it have different coloured plugs

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes there are diffrent colord plugs, the power plug and the data cable are both pluged in, correctly and jumpers are set fine... the firmware is updated and there is no diffrence in the performance of my dvd drive, yes i have already cleaned the cd lense, so i think we have established that the problem has nothing to do with my dvd drive itself lol, maby some software conflicts or something... it crashes windows... i have all windows updates tho... so yeah.... is this one a little too hard for ya guys? :p

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the only thing that makes it hard is when you do not reply
in the device manager click on view at the top and then show all devices,then check for any yellow alongside of anything
if none there right click on the drive and choose uninstall
then right click again and scan for h/ware changes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yeah, k so i checked device manager, no problems detected, uninstalled and re installed the drive, the only diffrence that i can notice is some odd sounds coming from the drive during startup, like the motor spinning at a high speed, and slowing down really fast, not a loud sound, its pretty faint, cant be heard much over the sound of my cpu fan, video card fan, and the fan thats on the chassis, but the sound did have me worried, bekuz it had sortof... electricity building up sortof sound to it you know?... other than that im getting the same problems

it just cant read them... there is a faint click evry 10 seconds or so when it tries to read them, i think its just the lense going to the end of the little slider in the drive buut its been making the same sound, even for the dvds that it DoeS read. sorry for the slow replys guys, im a mmorpg'er so yeah, im a bit addicted and i dont get around to checking my yahoo messenger, which tells me if i have mail, and my mail tells me if i have a reply here :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
allright, if i can find a friend thats willing to let me open up ttheir computer and do that, i will it could take awhile tho

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah this seems like one of those problems where sombody that actually knows what ther doing, (you guys) needs to sit down at the computer thats having problems and (SMASH IT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER) fix it :p nah im jk about the sledge hammer lol, im just frustrated about this stupid dvd drive, ty for trying guys i think my dvd drive is just a piece of crap, i got this computer from a pothead friend of mine, when i opend it up to put in my stuff video card, i blew out all of the dust and it stank my whole room up like weed lool! so i think maby its just got just too much pot smoke in it.... so il just get new drive from best buy, i just dont want sombody digging up on my computer and in my files and touching touching, i just got familiar with the computers hardware... you know...? i have sortof a tech touch a sixth sense and i can feal it when my computers not doin so good.:4-compute :downloadi :4-zap:

a tip for evrybody that wants ther computer to run better, open it up, and blow out all of the pot smoke and dust bunnies.. makes a world of diffrence, especially the dust around your cpu, fan, and heat sink, or whatever you call it, dust keeps your computer running hot, and your computer knows when its hot, so it slows down to be safe... well atleast mine does,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
update!

So.. i upgraded my computer just a bit
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f24/need-to-buy-a-new-agp-card-228930.html

Removed both of my disc drives for awhile.. didnt have the power Y splitters to hook em up :/

aand today i plugged my dvd cdrw drive back in, and my computer came up with 3 different disc drives! wierd..
(no i do not have any cd emulation programs installed)
attached a screenshot for your viewing pleasure~

sorry for the badly made screenshot, made it a bit fast :p the disc drive that shows up in the bottom right of my computer Drive F, is the one that seems to "Exist"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.