Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's my birthday...I received a SanDisk MP3 player and disc to install for MusicMatch. I was in the process of installing MusicMatch 9.0 when it froze and I rebooted. After I rebooted my (D) drive disappeared. I went to the hardware "device driver" and there's a yellow exclamation point on the disc driver. I've tried to troubleshoot but nothing works. The error message I get is: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)"

IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_CD-RW_GCE84008.

I've tried to uninstall the driver, but am not able to successfully reinstall...
I tried system restore, unfortunately it was turned off and will not restore to any dates earlier than today.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately that didn't work when I tried it the first time, but I gave it a second attempt and here's what happens after reboot:
The information icon on the tool bar pops up and indicates "Found New Hardware" (HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 84008)".
A few seconds later it pops up again and indicates "Found New Hardware" (CD ROM Drive)".
Checking Windows Explorer however reveals no (d) drive exists.
I go to Add Hardware Wizard and follow the steps and under the Installed Hardware List the yellow exclamation point sits by HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 84008. Where it states: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)"
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
look in the bios section on how to enter the bios[usually the delete key as the comp. boots]
at the front of the bios you will see a picture of the details of the h/d and cd listings,go into your bios and see if the cd is listed along with your hd
always remember to save the bios when leaving,when it asks you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for assisting me! After much research and deliberation, I decided to take the tower in to the emergency room. After 1.5 days the team of doctors isolated the condition and determined I had a corrupt drive, possibly even totally damaged. Windows may need to be deleted...but, not all was lost.
Apparently, I'm just guilty of letting the computer get too dusty. As dirt scratched the lens on my cd drive and toasted it. Not to mention the bugs that I had been fighting off since December...isearch, isrvs, etc., stinks :4-thatsba !...
Anyway, that said, I'm still a big fan of TSF, :heartlove thanks again! But the new cd drive was probably the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.