Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching your forum and find that several people have the same problem I do.

I have a NEC ND-340 16X Dual Layer DVD+R/W Recorder and have had no problems up until 2 weeks ago. I can read/burn DVD's, but my burner will not recognize any type of CD (commerical, music, software, blank, etc.) of any kind. If I insert any type of CD, my computer seems to hang until I eject the disk.

I've tried everything and searched the internet for a solution, but have been unable to find anything that will fix the problem. I have tried several brands of media, but nothing seems to work.

I gave up and my son took pity on my and bought me a new Sony External DVD burner. Guess what--it won't read any CD's either! It reads and burns DVD's just fine.

Last night, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP Pro, using my DVD-Ram drive (2nd internal optical drive installed on my system). I updated all of my drivers (video, NEC burner, soundcards, etc.). I have only installed the following software: AVG virus, Zone Alarm Pro, and Office 2003. I do not have any burning software installed at this time.

Neither burner will read any type of CD (thank goodness I still have one optical drive to enable me to reinstall my operating system!).

Anyway, all this leads me to believe that there is something wrong in my system and it is not my burners.

Can someone help me?

Thank you for your time and patience!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dai.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, as well as the DVD/CD Roms. No change in the behavior of the burner.

I tried to change the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

but I don't have:

REG_MULTI_SZ

so I can't seem to find and upper and/or lower filter.

I have noticed that if I have the Sony External Drive on--Both burners cannot have "Enable CD recording on this Drive". When I check the internal burner to enable CD recording, and then check the Sony enable CD recording, the internal burner automatically reverts back to Unchecked and vice versa. So, right now, I have turned off the Sony External Drive and am just concentrating on the internal burner.

Under properties the Ultra DMA 2-Ultra 33 is the transfer mode, and "Let Bios select the transfer mode is selected. The burner is listed as the primary, and the secondary channel lists the LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9S as the master as well. In looking under the hood, there are two cables running to the mother board (this is factory direct). The DVD drives are not sharing a cable. The properties of the DVD-ROM are the same as the DVD burner.

Does any of this help you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was finally able to get the External Drive to recognize and burn a music CD, so I guess my problem is solved. I will replace the internal drive when I get a round to it.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.