Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just bought an external caddy holding an NEC 1300 +-DVD burner. My comp (Dell Dimension 4600) has sucessfully recognised the drive and does everything fine except burning. CD's cause my buffer to drop alarmingly (30 - 40%) but they struggle through and burn OK. DVD's initially buffer fine but when the processing begins it drains completly leaving me with another wasted DVD. I am using Nero to burn at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Are your USB ports 1.1 or 2.0 on that Dell? USB 1.1 isn't fast enough to burn DVD's, even at 1x speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is.

It is usb 2 . I am getting a error in nero saying that it is being iterrupted. How can I tell what it may be?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I don't know, but I'd try Nero's CD Speed Test and see what speed you're really getting, because it has all the symptoms of a USB 1.1 connection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but I am sure

I am sure that it is. If you look at the spec for that dell it comes with usb2 front and back. Do I need to tell it? I just dont know.
The used read buffer goes up no prob and the progress bar goes up to 2%. The recorder buffer should start but instead I get an imediate loss of every thing and an interruption error.
As I said I thought it was all usb2 and the settings would just be so. It must put something on dvd as they are all throw away.
I got a rw+ and it did format it for use as a data disc but I could still burn nothing on it. Same prob.
Thanks for all and any help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You got me, have you removed the DVD drive from the USB case and connected it directly to your system? That would be an interesting test, maybe you have a bad drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.