Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. In my last thread (which you all answered quite nicely) I stated that my computer was basically running like crap and that I'd like to reformat. However, to burn all my music onto cd's would take over 18 cds (I have a little over 3000 songs) - 18 cd's would take forever and be a hugely annoying.

One of the suggestions offered was to buy a DVD burner and use that instead. That sounds like an excellent idea and I just have a few general questions. Also, before I proceed, I realize WinXP support probably isn't the best forum to post this in, but I didn't know if the External Media etc forum got as much traffic or support. Sorry :grin:

So, here's what I've got:
WindowsXP SP2
When I go to my comp ---> D: --> Properties --> Hardware... it says I have a "SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B" and next to it it says, under Type (and I realize this is most likely irrelevant, oh well) "DVD/CD-ROM Drives".
And my burning program is: "Ahead NERO - NERO Burning ROM"

Here's my knowledge on DVD Burning: ""

Yeah, not much.

So, do I need to buy a new physical drive? Like, a cd-tray thing that I actually physically open up my computer to install? Or can I use the burner I currently have (which, as it appears to be only CD-R/RW, I doubt it)? If I do need to buy a new burner, do I need new separate software for that, or will NERO suffice? Do I need DVD CDs or will the 700mb things I have now suffice? Is that a dumb question, since it clearly says 700mb and I look like an idiot now? Am I using too many question marks? This is just another statement? Haha?
As you can probably tell, I don't know anything about this stuff.

Will getting a DVD burner and all that jazz significant cut down the amount of stuff I need to burn? As in, from like 18 to around 3 or 4 maybe?

In total, I need to burn about 14 GB.

Sorry if I rambled. Thanks for any help you provide, you guys are great.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
burn your songs as mp3's on dvd
to install the dvd player open the case
remove the cd player
set the dvd jumper as master and use the end plug on the ide cable
set the cd as slave and use the middle plug
use an 80 wire ide cable,buy a new one with the drive they are only a couple of dollars
nero will do just fine and you will probably get another copy with the drive
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what exactly do I need to buy, besides the IDE cable? What would you recommend and how much, approximately, will it cost? Sorry, I didn't totally understand your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a little shopping around, I've found something promising:
Sony Internal 16X Multi-Format DVD Burner - DRU120C
"Sony's multi-format DVD burner supports all DVD/CD recordable formats"
http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Atap...r_1/002-6416992-2772067?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Will this do everything I need it to do? Any reasons why it won't? If I bought and installed that, the only other thing I would need to buy would be blank DVD CDs, yeah?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dai, badass dude. Thanks for all the help, you've really smoothed this process. I'm ordering the first one you recommended right now. Thanks a lot dude.

Edit: Err, ok, one more question.

Do I need blank DVD CDs, or will the plain ol' 700MB CDs I have right now work?

Edit 2: Dumb question. I realize I have to get DVD specific CDs, so, doing that now. If you have any type or brand or value that you recommend, lemme know. Otherwise, thanks and goodbye,

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you need blank dvd's if you wish to burn dvd's
the burner will burn both cd's and dvd's and dvdram disks
if you burn them as mp3's on a dual layer disk you will probably need only one disk

·
Registered
145 Posts
erm.. is a dvd burner really the best solution? i would just use an ipod or some other mass storage device to transfer the files, burning all of that music will take soem time, and you may accidentaly smudge a disc or something, and not notice it untill you have reformated your drive.. that would suck... maby just get a cheepo internal hard drive from wallmart? just put all of your music onto the other drive, reformat your old one, and move your music back.. or just leav em on the cheep one.. i dunno, just a suggestion... transfering that many files just to a hard drive would take like an hour with a second hard drive, and burning would take longer

as for the ipod thing.. you cant load your music off of your ipod to your computer if you use the regular sync tools, just set up your ipod to enable disc use, and your computer will recognise it as an external hard drive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.