Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dvd±r/rw

Hello, I am looking for the best DVD drive on the market for my pc, any recommendations? Are there any sites also that have any comparisons regarding performance of units?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
You might want to work this question in reverse... Figure out which DVD software(s) you want to use, then check those mfg. websites to get an idea of what drives they support. Choose two drives supported by the greatest number of software products you'll want to use. Then go read all reviews on those units, and pick which you think you'll be most comfortable with.

Just a thought,

-clintfan

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I don't know, depends on what you want to do. You could start here, looks like I saved this link. I believe the Matrox forums (at matrox.com) have a bit of video production stuff too, since Matrox produces video cards.

I know very little about video at this point. But I plan to start. In the video world, the following software is major (extracted from some notes I took in a 4-hour class last spring):

For Apple, it's pretty much Final Cut Pro. But this doesn't run on Windows.

For Windows, I think you have these choices (none quite as good as Final Cut Pro). Use web searches to find the mfg. sites and more details.

Adobe Premier 5, 6, and 7
Pinnacle Edition
Ulead Studio Pro
Avid Express
MGI Videowave
Vegas

For additional effects:
Commotion
Aftereffects

Note:
Pinnacle has recently decided their own Edition is strategic, and has decided not to support Adobe Premier in future Pinnacle hardware drivers.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
165 Posts
in addition I want to add this :
if you are planning to use GHOST from Symantec be sure to pick a drive that is supported by Ghost !

gr

·
Registered
376 Posts
This review and comparison of the top DVD drives might be what you're looking for:
Top 10 DVD Drives

For bundled software, I favor Roxio for burning and PowerDVD for watching DVD movies. I've had good success with those titles.

After looking over the list, I'd go with the Sony drive with the 8MB buffer! More buffer is better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.