Tech Support banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that somehow my "Desktop" folder and all the shortcuts it contains has been copied to be a sub-directory in several places where it shouldn't be. I'm not sure of the best way to remove these spurious instances without damaging the original - and which of the instances is/are in the correct place.

I attach a couple of screenshots showing the problem.

Explorer1.png
Explorer2.png

Advice on this gratefully received as the version which seems to be used is the one in the second picture above.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that tip - when I did as you suggested I was asked if I wanted to create "Desktop" under "Users/Name". So I moved the spurious version from incorrect place to be under "Users/Name" - all appears normal again now.

I was rather reticent about moving the folder in case I lost all the shortcuts and had to re-instate them all again - nauseatingly tedious!

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,344 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rest assured I try do that regularly with critical files. Thanks for the reminder though, it's so easy to forget.

When I changed from a hard drive to an SSD , I bought extra drives and now back up with a cloned copy of the working drive. Extravagant but makes total recovery a few minutes task.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts