Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been refered to this section by one of the trojan removal team.

I currently have a "duplicate name exists error" on startup (just prior to logging in).

I have attached a pic of the error message in hope that someone can shed some light on it.

The system I am using runs xp professional.

Many Thanks in advance

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
The computer you are trying to boot has the same computer name as another computer on your network. Unplug the Ethernet cable to this computer and start the computer up and log in. Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change and change the name of the computer to something different then the other one. Restart the computer with the Ethernet cable plugged in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thanks for the quick response.

I have carried out the job suggested and noted that when the system rebooted without lan cable installed there was no duplicate name error.

On rebooting after changing name the error returned. (with cable connected)

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change and change the name of the computer to something different then the other one. Restart the computer with the Ethernet cable plugged in.
Did you change the name of the computer? What is the name of the computer you are having the problem with? What other computers and their names are on your network? Be sure no other computer has the same name.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

I have checked the users again and can not see any duplications, hopefully you will be able to see the attached screenshot to confirm either way.

The original name when this problem occured was Administrator, I have tried two others since and got the same message when the network cable was plugged in on restart/reboot (does not happen when network cable is unplugged).

kind regards

Simon

Attachments

·
Registered
40,892 Posts
Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change and change the name of the computer to something different then the other one. Restart the computer with the Ethernet cable plugged in.
We are not talking about the user accounts on this particular computer. We are talking about the Computer Name. 2 computers on your network have the same computer name. One of them has to be changed.
Follow the suggestions in the quote or the link.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

Following your instructions, I have changed the name of the computer and the error message has gone (even with network cable attached).

Thank you for clarifying the difference between user names and computer names, it was obviously confusing my tiny mind!

kind regards

Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.