Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a Dell 700m Inspiron notebook and after some update installed, it shut down. When I went to go and get my online I had this error:

first it asked me what mode I wanted to start with, after I clicked "safe" mode, it went to a blue screen with the message:

dumping physical memory
physical memory dump completed
Please contact technical support or manufacturer for more assistance. It stays on this blue screen ALL the time.

I have searched in here for some posts on this, and many people have said go to my control panel and do this and that. But I cant go anywhere. It stays either on what mode do I want to start it with and then goes directly to the blues screen. Can anyone help me with this? And what I need to do? Thanks!!

twinleo2 :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried starting it in safe mode, and the last config. mode and both time it automatically went in to the blue screen with the physical dumping part. I called DELL tech and we ran tests on it and they say its a software problem. Can anyone help me before I have to pay money to get it fixed? Anyone have the same problem?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you called Dell and they say its a software problem, then you either got a virus, or a unfinished/bad updated files (sometimes it happenes due to unforseen events like power surge, lost connection, basically anything).
The last resource you have to regain control over your machine will be Restore your system configuration using the original CD that came with your system.
Insert the CD, turn your laptop ON, it should pick up the CD before you get the infamous blue screen.
And follow the prompts
Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I will try that. I just moved and I need to see if I can find the software. The only one I would need would be the Windows XP software and nothing else... like the drivers? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what it says on the blue screen:

STOP:C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot|System32|Config|SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump is complete.
Contact your system admin or tech support group for further assistance.

Any help is appreciated. I'm going crazy without laptop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your laptop must have come with a Restore CD that belongs to it.
In case you don't have it, just use a Windows XP installation CD.
Once is up and running, go to the manufacturer web page, and download the drivers needed...
Will take time, but you will get it back to work.
:sayyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL!! (love the smiley face). Alrighty, I am in search for this disk. I have found EVERY disk except the restore and the windows xp, but i know they are in here somewhere. I will let you know what happens with laptop. You guys have been very helpful and I thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the disk that says Dell Tools System Software and it will install....antivirus software, support software, multimedia software and internet software. Is this it or will it actually says RESTORE CD?? Also, my sister has the same laptop as me, can I use her software to restore mine? And if yes, can she use it in the future for her laptop??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Twinleo! If I understand correctly, both you and your sister have Dell laptops? If that is the case, you can use your sisters Dell OEM "WindowsXP Reinstallation" disc. As long as you are both using the same version of the OS. In other words, if you and she both have Windows XP Home, or you both have Windows XP Professional. You cannot mix the two. You need to remember to use your XP key # if asked for it during the repair, or complete reinstallation. That key # will be on a sticker somewhere on the outside of your case.
Now understand, I am referring to the "Windows XP" reinstallation disc which should have come with your systems. If you are talking about using a "Restore" disc, or discs, provided by Dell, then no, they would not be compatible, as "Whosdat" stated. Good luck, and let us know how you progress.

Edit: I am new to the forum, and just noticed that our Operating Systems are listed next to our names, so I now see that your OS is "XP Home". If your sister has her "XP Home Reinstallation" disc, you are good to go. Just remember to use your key # if prompted for one, not hers. It is the key# that is registered to your system, not the individual discs. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello again Twinleo. Just wanted to answer a few more of your questions:
1. No, the Dell Tools System Software is not the disc you need at this point. However, you will need it if you have to do a complete reformat and reinstallation of XP. You would use that disc to reinstall the drivers and utilities to your system after a clean reinstallation.
2. If you can eventually get your system to start in safe mode, you should try to use the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) to replace that missing/corrupted file.
3. In my opinion, if that is not successful, I would attempt a "Repair Reinstallation" of XP with either your "Windows XP Reinstallation" disc, or your sisters. This will repair your OS without wiping out your files (still always a good idea to play it safe and back up vital files). Again, as long as they are the same version, and you use your key#, it is perfectly legal, and will work. Good luck

Edit: I apologize if I am stating the obvious, but once you do get your OS working, you should perform a Virus scan and scan for spyware/malware, to be sure your system is clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I should use the restore CD first. If for some reason that doesnt work, then the Windows XP restore disk. I do have the disk for the tools and for the drivers. My others are buried in my garage somwhere. My sister and I have the exact same things on our laptops. So just use hers with my key # which is on the bottom of my laptop and that will be fine. Thank you so much for your help and I will let you know if this works or not. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
No Twinleo, no! That is almost the complete opposite of what you should do! If you use discs from Dell labeled "System Restore", you will be restoring your system to the "out of the box" state you received it on day one. You will lose anything you put on that computer after the first day you owned it.
You should use either your (if you can find it), or your sisters (with your key#) "Windows XP Home Reinstallation CD." It should be a purple and white CD that says "Operating System" at the top.
Use that CD to first try a System file check (sfc /scannow) if you can get the computer to boot.
If you cannot get the computer to boot, then follow the instructions in your manual to do a "Repair Reinstallation", using the same CD (Windows XP Home Reinstallation CD). This will repair damaged system files without wiping out all your personal files. Let us know if you have any questions. Just read the advice carefully before proceeding. Good luck.

Edit: You need to understand the big difference between "Restore" and "Reinstallation" CD's. Restore CD's provided by Dell will wipe out your system and "restore" it to the condition it was in on day one, including any extras installed by Dell. A "Windows XP Reinstallation" CD contains only the Operating system files. You can use it to completely reinstall, repair reinstall (what you need), and add features, among other things. The two terms are not interchangeable, although many people make that mistake. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you are making that mistake. Again, let us know if you have any questions, and good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:wink: No no, that makes perfect sense. So if I use the "Windows XP Home Reinstallation CD then it will be restored as if the error had taken place. But if I use the restore CD then it will basically wipe out all of my music, pictures, etc etc and install everything to when I first recieved laptop. Thank you for getting back to my forum question/error before I went ahead and did this. You have been a lot of help and hopefully saved me some money. I will let you know what happens with this. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, so I finally got the Windows XP restoration CD and I put it in my drive and it started running and then....nothing. It asked me what mode I wanted to start it in and then I chose "safe" mode, and it went to the blue screen....again!! I honestly don't know what to do from here. Do I need to hit F8 or F12 or maybe F2 and then go somewhere else for the CD to run? If this doesnt work, will the CD that will restore laptop to the very fist day I received it work? The CD's run and then it stops and I get the blue screen. Please help!! :4-dontkno

·
Registered
86 Posts
Long time no see, Twinleo.
Yes, there is a procedure you must follow to do the repair reinstall, simply popping in the CD will not be successful.. Do you have the manual that came with your system (am really afraid of the answer :sayno: )? If you do, look in the index for Reinstallation of Windows XP, then follow the directions for a repair reinstall.
If you don't, here is a link to Microsoft.com which gives you a step by step for a Repair Reinstall of windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341

Since you are having a problem even getting your system to boot, you should follow the directions for "Method 2". Read closely first, then follow the directions closely for either, and you should have no problems. It is much simpler than it looks. I have performed a repair reinstall myself, and am not an expert. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Edit: If your Dell is the same as mine, you need to repeatedly press the
<F12> button at the blue "Dell" logo during startup to boot into your BIOS and set up your system to boot from the CD. You also need to unplug your peripheral USB connections, disconnect from the Internet, turn off your firewall and antivirus before the repair reinstall, among other things. Then turn them back on and do all your Windows updates before surfing the Internet again. Seriously, read and follow the directions, and you will be successful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont even have the chance to see the screen with the "Press any key to boot from CD". Is it a pop up window? Would it be in the advanced settings?? I popped CD in drive and then hit "F12" over and over and it brought up BOOT MENU with either:

(where is the copy and paste when you need it!)

2. IDE HDD: TOSHIBA MK4026GAX -(pm
4. IDE CDROM: philips cd-rw/dvd rom
5. PCI LAN: broadcom MBA
<diagnostics>
<enter setup>

Would it be any of these? I actually called microsoft and they told me it was "too complex" for them to figure out and sent me to a FEE BASED place. HELP!!! Do you have any kind of a instant messenger service on computer??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Twinleo. Are you following your Dell manual directions, or the Microsoft directions?
It looks like you are on the right track. However, you need to first set up your computer to "boot from CD". When you get the screen you listed in your last post, you need to choose #4 , to boot from the "IDE CDROM" drive. That will set up your system to boot from the "Windows XP" CD that is in your CD Drive.

Try this:
1. Turn off your system.
2. Start your system, immediately begin pressing "F12" repeatedly (twice a second) until after the blue Dell logo appears.
3. You should then get the screen you listed in your last post. Follow the onscreen directions to highlight and enter #4 (IDE CDROM Drive).
4. Place your "Windows XP" CD into the drive.
5. Restart your system. It will boot from the CD, and you should be able to follow the directions properly from there.

I do have an IM service on my computer. If you want to send me a PM, we could arrange something if you still need help. I agree this method is a little slow:grin: .

Edit: I actually just tried IM'ing you , but you were not online.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.