Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
well, first off, my video card is getting pretty out of date. I have the Radeon 9550 SE 128 mb. I just bought a Radeon 9600 XT 128 mb... Pretty fast. Well, I have been looking at nVidia's SLI and Radeon's Crossfire. Looks neat, but way to pricey. I was wondering if i could set up my own dual graphics cards with say... two PCI graphics cards... say nVidia 5500 256 mb? Or 5500 128 mb? I can use all the feedback I can get, Thanks.

Patrick

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
You can have 5 cards if you wanted to, but unless they are SLI or Crossfire ready you won't be able to combine them for double power.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanx

so your saying SLI wil only work with pci express? :D coolz... well, i have a crossfire ready mobo and an sli ready mobo in each of my computers, my crossfire ready computer is a little faster 768 more ram, and an AMD 3600+ - the sli has amd 3000+ and 512 ram.... would which should i go with? i could always switch the mobos... but... im still wondering, crossfire or sli? whats it gonna be. i already know that sli works with older cards so u dont have to spend 600 dollars... and crossfire works with x800 or higher, correct? -also, if there is a cheaper way to go say... the 7800 gtx or the x850 GTO... im just so unsure as to what to do.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
SLi and CrossFire are essentially the same idea but with a slightly different execution. You'll see more performance with an nVidia SLi setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
xg3nx said:
so your saying SLI wil only work with pci express? :D coolz... well, i have a crossfire ready mobo and an sli ready mobo in each of my computers, my crossfire ready computer is a little faster 768 more ram, and an AMD 3600+ - the sli has amd 3000+ and 512 ram.... would which should i go with? i could always switch the mobos... but... im still wondering, crossfire or sli? whats it gonna be. i already know that sli works with older cards so u dont have to spend 600 dollars... and crossfire works with x800 or higher, correct? -also, if there is a cheaper way to go say... the 7800 gtx or the x850 GTO... im just so unsure as to what to do.
What are you talking about? Crossfire motherboards aren't even out for sale yet.

-T

·
Don't be a menace
6,462 Posts
Compumaniac12 said:
sli isnt really worth the 2 cheap cards unless you want 2 monitors or some other odd settup.

but, the 6600le is the cheapest sli card, halfway between the 6200 and 6600 with sli capability.
buy it here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150110
I'm confused, the car you posted says, "SLI Supported: Yes"

But a reviewer had this to say: "This video card is not sli compatible!
Do not buy this video card; if your looking for a video card that is sli compatible do not get the 6600le. If you look at the board it self it does not have the sli connecter dock on top of the card. ... More »
Do not buy this video card; if your looking for a video card that is sli compatible do not get the 6600le. If you look at the board it self it does not have the sli connecter dock on top of the card. Only buy this card if your looking for a single module."

was this guy just... wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.