Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a second monitor to the left of the first, using the “Extend these displays” setting (Windows 10). I don’t always need/use the second monitor, so it would be preferable that when I switch it off, my main monitor reverts back to the “old” configuration (i.e. with the ability to dock two open applications into its upper right and upper left windows), rather than whichever application I drag left hiding behind a black/blank screen.

Q1. Is there a way to do this (i.e. a setting, or a third-party application)?
Q2. If not, would an off switch for the HDMI cable (assuming one exists) accomplish this?

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
You have to change the Display Settings/Multiple Display to either Show only on 1 (or 2 depending on which the active monitor identifies as) before turning off the monitor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping for a solution requiring no other intervention on my part, other than switching off the second monitor. I didn't formulate my question adequately, so technically you've provided a solution, just not what I was looking for. Anyway, thanks for your response . . .

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,680 Posts
Look at these 3rd party softwares, one of them might do what you want. I've used DisplayFusion back in the day before GPU's allowed multimonitor setups

1 - 5 of 5 Posts