Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Alchemist
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need to set up dual monitors using my ATI Radeon x600? I was reading the help section in windows and it makes no sense.
do i need 2 Video cards to have dual monitors running? Im looking at the settings in the display properties and theres a 1 and a 2 there but i see no second port on the card itself is it refering to the video out on the mobo?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You don't need two video cards for a dual monitor setup if your video card has two outputs. All the X600s I've seen have two outputs. Usually it's one VGA output and one DVI output. But if your video card only has one output then you'll need something else for the second monitor. The more recent kinds of onboard video can usually be used in a dual monitor setup but many of the older kinds cannot be enabled when you're using a video card. The display properties should tell you what kind of video card each of your outputs is for. Mine shows up as "Radeon 9700 Pro" and "Radeon 9700 Pro - Secondary" which is both of the outputs on my card. You can also check in the Device Manager under Display Adapters.

·
Resident Alchemist
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UncleMacro said:
Mine shows up as "Radeon 9700 Pro" and "Radeon 9700 Pro - Secondary" which is both of the outputs on my card.

yeah same here except i dont seem to have a second output for another monitor. `

.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You could just stick a second card in- a cheap PCI card usually does the trick as long as it can push a decent refresh rate and support the resoution you work in. I never play games on my second monitor anyway, so it doesn't make a difference.

You'll never go back to a single monitor though- it's just too awesome to have all that extra work space.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If the onboard video doesn't show up as an output in the display properties then you can't hook it up at the moment. What motherboard chipset are you running? You can tell with CPU-Z. Most PCI-Express motherboard chipsets can be used as a secondary output but you may have to enable it in the BIOS, tell the BIOS to use your PCI-Express slot as the primary display, and then install the display driver for your onboard video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.