Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!
I've been researching how to run dual monitors for a week now but still confused. I see posts from folks who have two monitors but aren't running genuine dual-head cards, just cards with two output ports. Does software emulate dual-head to some degree?
I want to be able to drag windows off to the second screen, not just create one huge desktop. Do I need a real dual-head card to do that? I understand that a dual-head card has two independent outputs & processors but not clear on what they can accomplish that any other card with two outputs can't.
Also want to make sure whatever I buy isn't going to give me a lot of grief in Linux. Does that mean Nvidia or Matrox?
I see dual head Nvidia Quadro cards for sale on HP's website, branded as "HP Nvidia Quadro". Is there anything proprietary about these, or will they work as well as any other Quadro card?
Finally, what's the dif between the FX Quadros and the NVS's? I realize the FX's are targeted at the workstation but is there any reason they wouldn't work for generic home computing tasks?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Most every card since the late 90's has been able to support dual displays. Often the card just creates a super desktop that's wide and tells the computer to treat them as two independent desktops.

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoohoo

Finally got it working last nite. The card is an ASUS V9400-X. It's a basic AGP card, may be out of production by now. Both monitors would show signal until Windows began to load, then one went blank. I kept getting a message "Needs nv4s_mini.dll" or similar, but couldn't find that on the main ASUS CD.
I finally tried the second ASUS CD, one that I thought just had games and other fluff on it. Had to put Windows' nose right in the file, but finally loaded two groups of drivers from that CD and things went better from there.

There's one glitch so far. When I drag a window to the second monitor the mouse changes from a pointer to a cross-like symbol and won't go back. I can go into Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer and change it back to default and everything seems to be fine, but as soon as I drag a window it does it again. According to the list that appears when you open >Pointer the cross is the "Move" symbol.

Should I download and install the latest version of the drivers at the ASUS website and try that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.