Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting around 75-80ºC when playing games ( 82ºC was my highest on Crysis ), and around 50-55ºC while idle. I am just wondering, should I get coolers for both my cards? Or is 75-80ºC normal when playing games? I have paid a lot for this computer and am concerned, since this is the first time I have seen the temperatures go over 80ºC, thanks for anyones input. Their are many coolers available for GTX280, including waterblocks that run around $100 each, to regular coolers which are around $60 each. With my case, I have plenty ventilation, I love the case I picked out, gives me enough room for everything. If you need any other information please ask, since I built from scratch so I have every manual and paper to everything in it. Specifications of my computer are below.

Btw - Nothing on my system is overclocked, everything is standard. I do not want to overclock anything.

My Computer:

MB - Asus Striker II Formula
PS - Antec 1000W TruePower Quattro
GPU - 2x eVGA GTX280 ( SLI Mode )
CPU - Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83ghz 1333 fsb ( liquid cooled )
MEM - 2x 2GB 1066mhz Reapers ( With heat spreaders )
HD - 1TB WDC
OS - Windows XP Pro 32bit
MONITOR - 30" Vizio HDTV ( DVI )
CASE - Thermaltake Kandalf LCS

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, you don't have to. Download EVGA precision and put your GPU fan up to 100% and it should lower your temp.
The very first mistake you got there is your CPU and GPU combination. If you really wat to see the potential of those two evga GTX 280 in SLi, you need to overclock your CPU, and you will see and feel the difference from CPU stock clock. You are running H20 and your CPU is 45nm, so it won't really hot if you set your h20 right.
Also, you should have gone to 64bit Vista, because if you play Crysis use DX10. You can dual boot with Win7 x64 and try it, you will see the performance increase too with 64bit system.

What is the resolution of your 30" HDTV???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I appreciate the response, I already tried putting my fan speed to 100% though, my computer just crashes because of that though. This hdtv isn't meant for gaming, but it is a VERY good hdtv. I am using 1280x768 resolution ( which is max ) and I am very happy. Asus Suite II has a turbo mode which when I put it in the speed of my cpu goes up to around 3.1-3.2 ghz, should I just keep it at turbo mode the whole time? I am just scared of running anything overclocked because I believe that is what ends the computers life earlier, and I want this computer for along time since I paid close to $2.5k for everything from NewEgg and when everything was on sale also. Those 2 cards cost me $850 so I am kind of worried about them.

Thanks for your response once again!

Edit: Btw fps wise I am more than fine, I run everything with max quality possible, and I am even using the directx10 mod for crysis which allows me to play dx10 on windows xp and I still get incredibly high fps rates, I love these cards :)

Edit #2: Also what is H20? This might be a stupid question, but I have no clue what that is, I do know what the 45nm is talking about though. Thanks!

Edit #3 ( I know sorry for so much ): Isn't 64-bit worse for gaming? I hear so many people saying they would never go to 64 bit and they are all gamers, what the disadvantages of that compared to 32bit. And I am not going with Vista because xp is the gaming system still in my eyes. But it looks like dx10 will never be on xp, so when windows 7 officially comes out I am going to change to it asap. I need to unleash these puppies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1. Yes, you are right about having a really high fps even everything at max settings.
The reason is the screen resolution is really low. If you are going to stay at that resolution, you should have bought 1x GTX 280. Basically, you have wasted your $400 on the other GTX280. If you want to see the power of your GTX280 cards, well you have to buy a higher resolution monitors. GTX280 is a gaming card for high res monitor.
Usually I gamer that has 2x GTX 280 in SLi, uses a 24" monitor, so resolution would be 1920 x 1200.

2. When I said h2o, I meant water cooling setup. If you gonna change your resolution to the higher resolution, you have to overclock your CPU because right now you are bottle necking your cards. I am not[/] saying that you have to OC, but you have your choice. I think you got my point.

3. You are wrong. I have 64bit I got no problem at all. You should ask some gamers and all of them have 64bit OS. I am a gamer too. 64bit is faster than 32bit anyways. The problem in 64bit OSes is compatibility. If you have some old software that meant for 32bit, of course you can't use them.
Those gamers who said 32bit is better for gaming they are absolutely wrong. They just said it because they have it installed or may be they bought pre-build computer like Dell, Hp, etc. I call those kind of people self proclaimed guru.

I got no problem with Vista and I have been using Vista for more than a year now.

Dude, never, i mean, never use a software to OC your CPU because it will messed your system up.

Yes, you are correct. if you OC it shorten the life of your CPU. Of course, it defends on how high the OC is. Also, you have to do it right especially the voltages. Voltages is the main thing. I started OCing when I was 15 and I am 23 now. My friend owns the first PC I OC, and it is still running. I think it was a Pentium 4 gaming computer we built. He told me it is still alive, but he doesn't play games on that computer now. He only uses it for work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Yes, you are right about having a really high fps even everything at max settings.
The reason is the screen resolution is really low. If you are going to stay at that resolution, you should have bought 1x GTX 280. Basically, you have wasted your $400 on the other GTX280. If you want to see the power of your GTX280 cards, well you have to buy a higher resolution monitors. GTX280 is a gaming card for high res monitor.
Usually I gamer that has 2x GTX 280 in SLi, uses a 24" monitor, so resolution would be 1920 x 1200.

2. When I said h2o, I meant water cooling setup. If you gonna change your resolution to the higher resolution, you have to overclock your CPU because right now you are bottle necking your cards. I am not[/] saying that you have to OC, but you have your choice. I think you got my point.

3. You are wrong. I have 64bit I got no problem at all. You should ask some gamers and all of them have 64bit OS. I am a gamer too. 64bit is faster than 32bit anyways. The problem in 64bit OSes is compatibility. If you have some old software that meant for 32bit, of course you can't use them.
Those gamers who said 32bit is better for gaming they are absolutely wrong. They just said it because they have it installed or may be they bought pre-build computer like Dell, Hp, etc. I call those kind of people self proclaimed guru.

I got no problem with Vista and I have been using Vista for more than a year now.

Dude, never, i mean, never use a software to OC your CPU because it will messed your system up.

Yes, you are correct. if you OC it shorten the life of your CPU. Of course, it defends on how high the OC is. Also, you have to do it right especially the voltages. Voltages is the main thing. I started OCing when I was 15 and I am 23 now. My friend owns the first PC I OC, and it is still running. I think it was a Pentium 4 gaming computer we built. He told me it is still alive, but he doesn't play games on that computer now. He only uses it for work.

Alright, thanks for all of this.

I just have a few more questions.

1. How high can I overclock my q9550 cpu without ending the life expectency so severely? Also if I decide to overclock it, could you possibly help me? :pray:

2. Is every game that comes out nowadays compatible with 64-bit OS's? Is it just the very old software/games that are not compatible?

3. I'm kind of low on money at the moment, but when I do get some money together what type of monitor would you recommend I purchase? I was browsing Newegg and came across this monitor, has 1920x1200 as you said I should use. Would this be the perfect monitor for me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

This doesn't have any DVI ports, but I have a vga to dvi and a belkin dvi hd cable, so I could just connect those two and shouldn't see any quality decrease right?

4. Do you happen to know the max resolution for GTX280?

5. If I upgrade to vista right now, what kind of performance/visual enhancements/drawbacks will I see? Only reason I didn't upgrade to vista now is all the crap that people go through with clicking away useless menus and such.

6. Same thing for the monitor, how low will my fps go actually? I like playing with above movie frame rate, 30, so if it stays above that, I will be happy.

@ Pat - Thanks, looks interesting, and much more cheaper than waterblock, I may try that, it's just $7, no loss at all.

Thanks for everybody's help, you've all been very helpful.

:smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alright, thanks for all of this.

I just have a few more questions.

1. How high can I overclock my q9550 cpu without ending the life expectency so severely? Also if I decide to overclock it, could you possibly help me? :pray:

2. Is every game that comes out nowadays compatible with 64-bit OS's? Is it just the very old software/games that are not compatible?

3. I'm kind of low on money at the moment, but when I do get some money together what type of monitor would you recommend I purchase? I was browsing Newegg and came across this monitor, has 1920x1200 as you said I should use. Would this be the perfect monitor for me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

This doesn't have any DVI ports, but I have a vga to dvi and a belkin dvi hd cable, so I could just connect those two and shouldn't see any quality decrease right?

4. Do you happen to know the max resolution for GTX280?

5. If I upgrade to vista right now, what kind of performance/visual enhancements/drawbacks will I see? Only reason I didn't upgrade to vista now is all the crap that people go through with clicking away useless menus and such.

6. Same thing for the monitor, how low will my fps go actually? I like playing with above movie frame rate, 30, so if it stays above that, I will be happy.

@ Pat - Thanks, looks interesting, and much more cheaper than waterblock, I may try that, it's just $7, no loss at all.

Thanks for everybody's help, you've all been very helpful.

:smile:
1. I don't how high. It defends on your CPU because every single CPU is unique even though they are same model. For instance, twins may look the same they dress the same, but their fingerprint is not the same. You got the idea??? If you need help OCing that Q9550 I will help you. Do you play games a lot?

2. Yea, actually most of software now are 64bit compatible. All of my games are 64bit certified Even my old StarCraft BroodWar is 64bit compatible. The software that have problems with 64bit are the one for business or editing program and stuff.

3. You can pick one of any of these monitors http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020 50001077 1309821328&name=24"

4. Max res is 2560 x 1600

5. What do you mean clicking useless menu??? Are you talking about the Allow this and that? If so, can can disable it. If you are planning to upgrade to Vista get the OEM version it is cheaper than the upgrade version. Also, it is a full version. In addition, but it like around July.

6. Well, you will see the difference fps wise and quality wise. I will assume like with your system with proper tuned up may be like 75-85 ave or may be more. My setup (check my Sig) in Crysis Wars I got 60-75fps ave and the settings at max and res 2048 x 1152, of course it defends on the map. Your card have more power than mine.

The pci fan is useless and waste of money. About the water block for 280 is expensive. I'm sure 80c is normal on full load of course if your room temp is hot so does you card. My 260s run like 70c sometimes and my room temp feels like 100something degrees. Thats why I don't use SLi 24/7.

Do this and this is better than that PCi fan. move you icage on the bottom(should be the 1st 3x 5.25" at the bottom of your case.
Move the Pump/reservoir on the top of your icage. or find another spot for your pump/reservoir if it is not going to work.
Put a 120mm fan on your icage(use zip ties) facing to your GPUs to blow some cold air.
Move your HDD from your icage to the HDD rack adjacent to your PSU.
And that should do the trick.
Or
If you think you can fit a 120mm without moving the pump/reservoir, it would be great less hassle.
Oh yeah if you plan to do this plan it wisely because you are using watercooling.

Can you take a picture of your setup??? just like the above picture.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yet again I gotta say I love this site, always replies on everything I post.

Sorry for the slow responding, I took a picture, it is below.
( I also had to mod my case to fit in the 2 cards so I cannot do that fan thing you have suggested. )

About the monitors, why did you point me to only 24" monitors with Samsung brand? I want at least 26" heh, I did some more intense searching, and this seems the BEST buy for 26"+ with a very good budget. I looked through Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect.
I have always liked Asus, lemme know what you think of this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236046

When I actually get the money together, I bet there will be a better cheaper one, but it's always nice to plan ahead I suppose.

One more question that I should have asked before, will a higher resolution make my graphics card run hotter? Because it's already running 75-80 fully loaded gaming and with a higher resolution will it be like 100? Or is all this overclocking going to solve that? Will I have to overclock my card and cpu, or just my cpu? I would prefer just my cpu if temps can be resolved that way, since they are the most expensive part of my computer. I see a lot of people oc'ing their q9550's to 3.4ghz with very good stability, would that be enough?

I also took pictures of all my bios settings ( 6 pics ), lemme know if you would like to see them.

If I do decide to overclock, it will be quite some time from now, since I need to collect some money for the monitor, not going to overclock now when not needed.

Also, about 32 bit and 64 bit vista, I think the only reason you are getting better performance is you have 8 gb, which 64 bit allows. Since 4 gb is max 32 bit allows, and I have 4 gb, I think I may go 32 bit. Not quite sure.

Heres inside of my case:
( btw if you are trying to figure out why my memory looks weird, they both are heat pipe cooled )

EDIT: My liquid cooling system is where you labeled CAGE above if you are wondering.

Things in my drives include:

CD/DVD Drive
Floppy Drive
52 in 1 Card Reader
SilverStone SST-FP52 ( has 2 built in fans, and temperature monitors, alarm, clock, and everything, a nice visual enhancer.

Edit#2: That little card above the graphic cards is my sound card ( came with the motherboard, SupremeFX II )

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
This monitor will have a better picture quality compared to to the Hanns-G monitor.

Is 25.5 inches good?

ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1 ) w/ Component and SPDIF out Connector - Retail
$350
after rebate $320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236046

What about this one?
Its the best Monitor on Newegg at 27 inches

LG W2753V-PF Black 27" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 50000:1 w/ Smart Package - Retail
$420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005127

The limit on a 32 bit suystem is actually 3.1 - 3.5 gigs of ram
64 bit is the way to go. 32bit will begin to start dying out soon.

Overclocking your GTX 280 is not nessacery as you have 2 of them and thats more than enough to run every game at max settings. Overclocking your GPU's will only make them hotter.

Run the GTX 280's fans at 80% with Rivatuner
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Get back with the GPU's temps with GPU-Z
http://www.filehippo.com/download_gpuz/

I would say that overclocking your CPU is fine since it is water cooled.
I would post in the overclocking section for that bit of advice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's explained everything!!! The reason why your 280s temps running hot is because your cable management is so messy. Dude, you have to fix your cable management. You are lucky that I have a similar case. you can copy to what I did to my PSU cable. It is an old picture of my computer. I don't have a picture of that when I put a 90mm fan in between my cards and my icages.

All I can say is fix your cables and when you get a space get your self a double sided tape, (or you can improvise a fan holder) and put it on the button underneath you pump. Also, make sure the fan that you going to buy will fit. That point of doing this is to provide an air flowing going to your cards.

You don't really need to OC your 280s unless you need more graphics power.

About having a 32 and 64bit, yes, you put more RAMs, but it is not all about RAM; it is about 64bit coding has to offer. Yes, I do have 8GB of RAM because I do some editing and I ran a lot of programs at the same time which requires more RAM. About gaming, Crysis doesn't consumes a lot RAM. Maybe less than 2GB of RAM like around 1.5 - 1.8 RAM; it barely gets to 2GB I believe. I don't know if you notice this, but Crysis has two exe 32 and 64. On default(even you have 64bit OS) when you launch Crysis it will execute the 32bit exe not the 64bit exe. Basically your need to click 64.exe yourself. Performance wise the 64bit.exe runs smoother than the 32bit.exe.

Why don't you try Windows 7 RC 64bit version(make a dual boot) and test it. Of course, it won't perform 100% because it is not a final copy it is still RC.

When I say iCAGE, I meant your HDD cage because Thermaltake named it iCAGE.

You should have gone with SATA drives...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh yeah I think that Asus monitor seems to have a good spec. I chose Samsung because it has a really good picture quality.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Looking at the picture that you posted I dont see that you have the room for the slot fan that I suggested above to go below the bottom vid card.
Another thing that could help that my case has.
In the side panel that is removed and out of the picture.
You could pop a hole in it around the level of the vid cards and put in a 80mm fan.
That would send cooler outside air over both of the cards and help out a bit.

Usually what I look for is to have my fans exhaust more air than they put into the case.
Air will always enter from the cracks and openings in the case and if you put in this new fan make sure your exhaust is capeable of removing the extra air.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
If you really want to have your setpu running cool I would say to get a new case as yours doesn't have enough fans.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

This is my GTX 260 running at idle
My case has this for a fan setup

2 x 120mm front fans (intake)
1 x 120mm side fan (intake)
1 x 120mm rear fan (exhaust)
1 x 200mm top fan (exhaust)

60% idle fan speed and its overclocked by 20%. The temperature limit is set to 70C so it never goes above that temperature becasue I overclocked and customized the bios.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate everyone's response.
Currently I am working on another computer but I will try everyone's suggestions after.

Things I will try:

1. Fix my cable management. ( I have 1000's of cable ties so shouldn't be a problem. )

2. Install Vista 64 bit ( I hate using release candidates, just me I suppose )

3. @ McNinjaGuy - To the right, I have 3 fans and 1 to the left, so I actually have 4 fans. Also I have the 2 mini fans on that lil visual enhancer I mentioned. This case is fine. I think there is no flow from the fans because the bad cable management that 12345 mentioned, so I will try that.

4. @ 12345 - I am assuming you are talking about my cd/dvd drive. I could not go sata because I had the blue screen which many people get with this specific motherboard using sata cd/dvd drive so I had to go IDE. Everything else is SATA though.

5. I will run GPU-Z and CPU-Z and get back here with the results asap.

6. @ McNinjaGuy - I really want at least 1920x1200, and that monitor is 1920x1020 :( If it was 1920x1200 I would definetly want it for sure.

Questions:

1. Will increasing my gpu fan speeds do anything negative to my video cards? Is this like overclocking?

2. About 2 weeks ago I remember running cpu-z and it said my memory was running 400mhz, which I don't understand. I think my memory is at 800mhz atm, and I need to make it 1066mhz, I know I posted in memory o/c section of this site before but no one could figure out how I could do it so I just gave up on doing it. When I said 1066 in my specs, I meant that is what the memory is supposed to be running at. Would 800mhz to 1066mhz be a big performance change?

P.S. - If the temp problems were seriously just coming from the badly organized cables, all fault is on me. :embarased

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
Increasing the fan speeds will just keep your card cooler it has no negative effects except more fan usage which i\s better than an over heated card.

I'm glad your case has good cooling :)

With the clock speeds they ramp down while the card idles

For me my Idle speeds are this;

Core Clock: 300mhz
Shader Clock 600mhz
Memory Clock 100mhz

Load clocks are this
Core Clock: 720mhz
Shader Clock: 1550mhz
Memory Clock: 1250mhz

The GTX 2XX series cards have this auto clock slow down to consrve power. They auto ramp up on games and such

check GPU-Z when you run a game or [email protected] GPU client

The better cable management will help for sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
About the SATA BSoD problem, if you have a chance can you post the STOP error code here? Therefore, we might find some solution for it.
Most of the time that kind of problem will be fixed by updating/flashing your BIOS.

Hardware temperature varies/defends on the room temperature too.
For instance, if your room is 10c of course the case fans would blow a similar air temp on the inside of your case.

Questions:

1. Will increasing my gpu fan speeds do anything negative to my video cards? Is this like overclocking?

2. About 2 weeks ago I remember running cpu-z and it said my memory was running 400mhz, which I don't understand. I think my memory is at 800mhz atm, and I need to make it 1066mhz, I know I posted in memory o/c section of this site before but no one could figure out how I could do it so I just gave up on doing it. When I said 1066 in my specs, I meant that is what the memory is supposed to be running at. Would 800mhz to 1066mhz be a big performance change?
1. No, not at all. Ninja said it all.
2. The reason why CPUz showing 400MHz instead of 800MHz because your RAM is DDR2. DDR stands for double data rate, so basically 400MHz x 2 = 800MHz.
Alright, why not show 800MHz instead of 400MHz then??? Just like I said "double data" CPUz is showing the true frequency of your RAM just like your bus speed.
1066MHz is faster than 800MHz. At that speed you have to pump the voltage like around 2.0v - 2.1v for your RAM to operate. Of course, voltage differs in every system.
Meaning more voltage more heat!!!<--Problem;) again.

Have you touch your RAM while playing games???(if not, DON'T DO IT.) Because I did, my RAMs is pumping 1.82v @ 800MHz and when I touched it. It was kind of hot. Hot enough to create heat inside of any case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Mcninjaguy,
no, no, no it is not just 200 series that downclocks. I believe 8 series and later cards.
The reason is the display driver. It will trigger the auto downclock if you are not running any 3D programs. Therefore, once you exit 3D mode, a few minutes or seconds it will downclock you card.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think the lower models downclock as good as the GTX 2XX series though.

I seen it downclock within a bout 1 second or 2 seconds of exiting a program
They all downclock like 50% or 45% of whatever clock speed they have. As far as I know, as long as the driver supports the card series it should. However, if you OC your GPU they won't downclock even though you are not in 3D mode.

Dude, what do you think of your Win7 x64??? Do you like it?
I like mine, but when I can't find a decent Internet Security for it.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I have mine overclocked and it still downclocks

My stocks clocks were this
Core: 575mhz
Shader: 1200mhz
Memory: 999mhz

My overclocked speeds on full are this
Core: 720mhz
Shader: 1520mhz
Memory: 1250mhz

Idle clocks
Core: 300mhz
Shader: 600mhz
memory: 100mhz

It still goes down to the regular idle clock speeds

Core clock gets ramped down: 59%
Shader clock gets ramped down 61%
memory clock gets ramped down by:92%

I do like Win 7. its different form Vista.
The little quirks I have are most likely becasue its not the final release and its very stable.

I never needed to install my sound card driver, Win 7 found that. My logitech webcam driver doesn't work but meh the microphone works for L4D and in windows itself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.