Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having some problems with my RAM, first one of my sticks was broken, so I shipped it back and waited for a new one.. It got here today, and when I put it in, the screen doesn't boot up at all. I tried it in all different dimm slots and no go, so I assume it's another bad stick.. While I wait for my *other* new 512 stick to arrive, I had a question about my current set up..

I have x2 1024 sticks in and x1 512 slot, while I wait for my 2nd 512 to get here, hopefully a working stick.

When I have the 3 sticks in, it says it's running in single channel, but if I just have the 2 1024 sticks in it says it's running in dual-channel. I'm really not sure if it's faster to run with the 2gb in dual channel or 2.5gb in single channel.

If someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
It should be faster with the 2x 1gb sticks in dual channel mode. Dual channel uses 2 pipelines to transfer data across the bus, opening up the bottleneck that's caused there because it's slow compared to other components on the motherboard.

When there's an oddball amount of RAM, the computer can't use 2 pipelines to transfer data as there aren't an even number of modules. This makes the computer revert back to single channel mode, cutting bandwidth in half.

My advice is to pull the 512 stick until your new one comes.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Good and correct advice by Rashiki. I hope you don't get disappointed, because if you added two sticks, you should have added a matched pair or they might not work at all with both in. Just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the tips - much appreciated.

Also, they are all identical sticks(Corsair XMS2 6400), the only difference being x2 1024, x2 512 - does the size also determine if they are "identical" or is it just the brand/speed etc.

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
identical = speed too and model number
That's not always the case but it isn't worth the risk if you definitely want a stable dual channel system. I ran one 2x256Mb PC3200 Corsair VS dual channel kit with two 512Mb Corsair VS PC3200 sticks that were bought separately and managed to get dual channel. I got lucky.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Well, I didn't know that MunkyPhil had the "luck of the Irish" since he is from the UK, but he was lucky on that one. There are very few times you can get by with that (mixing Ram), but there are a very few exceptions...like our "Luck of The Irish" friend has explained to you. I say, don't push your luck unless you have a few four leaf clovers in your pocket.:4-dontkno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.