Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have windows XP installed and can easily shrink the partition it's on to make room for windows 98. However, every guide to dual booting says I must install windows 98 first, but I already have windows XP installed with all my programs and definitely don't want to have to reinstall it and all my programs as well.

Is there any way? What about another boot loader which can handle them both and how would I install it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this on Microsoft's web site

You have to install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.
Could I just use a different boot loader? I could install 98 on a different partition so it doesn't even know Windows XP is there, then install a boot loader to let me choose?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I may have found the answer (sorry, I can't edit my last post)
I just didn't think of these search criteria.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

I just have some questions about the process

If your C: drive is not FAT or FAT32, you CANNOT complete this procedure. You will need a 3rd party boot manager. I recommend BootIt Next Generation, www.bootitng.com.
Easy enough, just when and how do I install this boot manager? What steps of the process on this page shouldn't I do because of this?

2) Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1
N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
R BX
R CX
W
Q

3) Save the file to the Win98/Me Startup Disk as READ.SCR
I can create that file easily enough. But...........just what exactly is the process by which a disc is booted, what part does the BIOS look at first to see if it's bootable? For example, when you make a dos bootable floppy, you must type SYS (floppy drive letter) copying all three files to the disc won't make it bootable. If I add this text file, could it mess up the process. Sofar, I've just burned ISO's of bootable CD's to discs that I knew were bootable already. I just want to do it correctly is all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.