Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to dual boot Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows XP (both 32-bit).
To do this I firstly created two new partitions:
D\
F\
Then I put the windows XP installation disk in and restarted my computer, I then went on to install Windows XP on the F\ drive, after setup had installed the basic files it restarted the PC and now I get a message asking to boot from CD, I do so and then it tries to start set up over again.

I can't get past the CD booting part (my CD ROM is primary in boot order) so I can't use Windows Vista which is already installed, or finish off the Windows XP installation.

Computer specs:
500GB Hitachi HDD SATA-2
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.2GHz processor
XFX GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI-E

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Anchutz.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Once XP has copied files it does reboot and you will see press any key to boot from CD again only now you do not press anything and setup should continue at that point.

Do you already have Vista installed on your PC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vista is installed on my PC yes.
And when I don't press anything I get an error message.
Do you want me to get what it says?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, this error message forces me to restart my computer, and then I get the error message again.
I get this when I have/havn't got the windows XP installation disk in my optical drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just rang up a local computer store and they said it sounds like my boot manager has been corrupted. They told me the easiest way to fix it is to reformat my computer, is this the only way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello, I found out that it may be a corrupt boot loader. I've read that because older versions of Windows have a different boot loader to Windows Vista that ie becomes corrupt and then cannot run.
To fix this I have been told to download EasyBCD I did so but this requires me to be able to access Windows Vista and I can't.

When I press F8 (esc on my computer) I get the BIOS and I can't find where it says about automatic restart.

How can I access Windows Vista while this is happening?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, how do I run the Vista CD and make a repair install?
When I put my CD in I still get the error message "A disk error has occurred"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Try booting your computer and repeatedly push the “F8” key after boot. If you see the Windows boot logo you’ve gone past the option. Upon pushing F8 at the right moment your computer will go to a boot options screen. From there try using your “Last Known Good Configuration” to see if you can bypass the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do I need to be in the BIOS for this?

I tried pressing F8 and that didn't do anything, then I tried all the other F keys.
Also, I can press shift to get to the post screen and delete to get to the bios. Another key I can press is escape this takes me to a "choose a device to boot from" screen, on that I chose CDROM and I still get the "A disk error has occured"

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.