Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I haven't done this in awhile and I thought all was going well. Anyways let me get to the problem.

I have two HDD, the first one has Win2000 on it and the second one I reformatted so that 50GB would be NTFS and the other 20GB would be for Fedora Core 4. I got the Fedora all setup successfully, all the partitions on the second HDD are fine, but I can't boot into the Fedora Core????

When setting it up GRUB came up, and it recognized the two drives. Win2000 exists on the first one and Fedora on the second one. Does anyone know where or how to configure so as to get a prompt asking user to choose OS????

·
Registered
12 Posts
ricer333 said:
Hey there, I haven't done this in awhile and I thought all was going well. Anyways let me get to the problem.

I have two HDD, the first one has Win2000 on it and the second one I reformatted so that 50GB would be NTFS and the other 20GB would be for Fedora Core 4. I got the Fedora all setup successfully, all the partitions on the second HDD are fine, but I can't boot into the Fedora Core????

When setting it up GRUB came up, and it recognized the two drives. Win2000 exists on the first one and Fedora on the second one. Does anyone know where or how to configure so as to get a prompt asking user to choose OS????
I had exactly the same problem with fedora core 3. It loaded up and left me with a grub> prompt. That is basically because no menu.lst file has been configured. I'll reeboot and I'll post an example of my menu.lst. That way you'll be able to see some of the commands. and maybe configure your own.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't even get that... This is nuts. I had selected the default place for GRUB which I'm assuming is the MBR, but it won't recognize the other OS. SO LOST. Trying to reinstall grub to MBR but that's not even working like other's say.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other way around, it just boots Win2000 w/o asking
I thought I could change the boot.ini file and added a line C:\bootsect.lnx to it (after trying to copy it from linux rescue) and it just goes to a black screen when that option is selected

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now I'm trying to 'upgrade' (it's an option with the installation disks) so that I can reconfigure my boot loader and change it to the first sector on the boot. then i'll try copying it over and seeing if that helps... but STILL LOST!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, that doesn't work, it won't change the boot loader config if there is no update to the kernal. this sux

·
Registered
12 Posts
basically windows 2000 has overwritten your mbr. Caused by three possible reasons

1- you re-installed windows 2000
2- you used the fixmbr command
3- something else which I'd have no idea whatsoever about

the only solutions I can think of are either formatting and fully re-installing fedora core or trying to manually install grub. For this you will have to download grub using windows 2000, use a resue disk to boot up a fedora core shell, mount your ntfs partition, and start compiling the source from there.

for a how-to on installing grub check out: http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2/index.php/GRUB . It all depends on what you have got on your linux partition. But if you do reinstall, I feel obliged to let you know that the preview version of ubuntu/kubuntu breezy, is great.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well your first problem is trying to do anything from within Windows. The boot.ini file is for the Microsoft bootloader which you hopefully deleted from the master boot record when you installed linux. If you installed Windows after you installed linux then it will destroy Grub and replace it with the MS bootloader, which is useless.

As far as Fedora Core 4 questions I gave up on that distro. It annoyed the hell out of me so I switched to Ubuntu.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Win2000 was on there first. The boot.ini file is still there. I tried manually installing GRUB but it came up with some message like filesystem isn't recognized.

Again the setup is 2 HDD
1: sda has NTFS
2: sdb has NTFS and linux partitions.

ARGGG

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
going to try and reinstall.... damn this is so time consuming. Instead of making Windows the default, I'm going to make Fedora. I'll see if that will force the MBR to be overwritten.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If Grub comes up at all during boot then it is on the mbr. The boot.ini file will stay where it is in windows. It just wont do anything.

As far as making fedora the default. That's your choice, but grub is installed then and has the mbr.

And how exactally are you re-installing grub?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update:
Okay, I can't really go to another distro of Fedora b/c the app that I will be using for work was built for Core4 and I'm not entirely sure that there will be a disconnect from different distro's.

I reinstalled Fedora, told it to install GRUB on the MBR of /dev/sda but when all was done, still same problem. :dead:

It just seems that the MBR on the first partition of my sda1 is not getting updated with Grub. The ONLY way I can get a grub> is to toss in the first disk of the Fedora, go to linux rescue and get into the grub directory.

As for installing it, I was in rescue mode, typed 'grub-install /dev/sda' and it returned a message " /dev/sdb2 does not have any correspnding BIOS drive" The funny thing is tho if you notice the path it gives, that's the second drive where the /boot for linux is laying.

Still clueless!

·
Registered
370 Posts
ricer333 said:
Okay, I can't really go to another distro of Fedora b/c the app that I will be using for work was built for Core4 and I'm not entirely sure that there will be a disconnect from different distro's.

That's nonsense. I'm guessing it's an RPM. You could even install this on Debian using alien. If a program works in one version of linux it works in all of them. The question remains on how much tweaking you need to do. But it shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I gave up on the dual boot. i needed to get this up and running, for some reason (SATA drives, security not allowing MBR to be overwritten, whatever!) I decided to fresh install FC4 on the second hdd. if you wanna switch, go into BIOS and boot from another HDD for windows. Not the easiest or prettiest, but sometimes just gotta do it. It is for a project at work, so I really don't care anymore at this point. I have a sneeking suspicion that if both OS's were on the same HDD this wouldn't have been a problem.

Thanks guys for the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.