Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Verizon DSl. It was working fine when I left the house and came back and could not connect to the internet. The modem and cables are fine because it works fine on my laptop but not my desktop for some unknown reason. The network connectivity says the internet is sending but I am not receiving. Any ideas?? I switched it on and off a few times. No help. Thank you for any suggestions. I also tried turning off my firewall and virus protection but that didn't help

gc

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I'm no expert here, but I had something similar happen to me about 6 months ago. It turned out to be my winsock key that had become (for some unknown reason) corrupted.

You could try (at your own risk) one of the following programs:

Winsock Fixer for Win98/SE/ME

Winsock Fixer for WinXP

Alternatively (if you're running XP/2000) you could try the sfc /scannow command, which might help. This option poses no significant risk.

Good Luck!

Highly-Annoyed

· Registered
20 Posts
ptbulldog said:
I have Verizon DSl. It was working fine when I left the house and came back and could not connect to the internet. The modem and cables are fine because it works fine on my laptop but not my desktop for some unknown reason. The network connectivity says the internet is sending but I am not receiving. Any ideas?? I switched it on and off a few times. No help. Thank you for any suggestions. I also tried turning off my firewall and virus protection but that didn't help

gc
you said that the modem works with your laptop but not your desktop, could it be that you're a DHCP customer of Verizon..? connect your laptop and see if you can get online. If yes, click on START > Run > type in CMD and click OK. Once you have the command prompt up, type in IPCONFIG /release. Once you're back on the blinking cursor, check that your IP address is now 0.0.0.0 --> You can do this by just typing IPCONFIG then pressing ENTER. If your IP address is now 0.0.0.0, power down everything then connect your desktop to your modem. You should automatically have Internet connection, if not, check your IP address again.

Good luck ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.