Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can help me - I haven't used my PC for a few weeks and when I switched it all back on I seem to have lost my ADSL line, I use a Buffalo WBMR-G54 router and it was working perfectly before I went away - there is just no ADSL light on it, I have tried replacing most of the cables etc and even tried a dfferent modem - without success - however a really old USB speedtouch modem works perfectly - has anyone any idea of how I can get my router working again. The rest ofthe router is OK I can connect to my other PC with ethernet I just can't use it for broadband.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Judy

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Truthfully, it sounds like the Buffalo may have bit the dust. There's not much that can cause the ADSL light to fail to come on if the signal is good. Did you talk to Buffalo? My guess is they'll have to swap the router for a working one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually tried another modem and had the same problem - I have reported the problem to my ISP and I am aware that while I was away they did some upgrades - I just don't understand it and I don't wan to buy a new modem if I just have the same problem

Kind regards

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have actually tried another modem and had the same problem - I have reported the problem to my ISP and I am aware that while I was away they did some upgrades - I just don't understand it and I don't wan to buy a new modem if I just have the same problem

Kind regards
Really? Previously, you said:
however a really old USB speedtouch modem works perfectly
I based my analysis that the ADSL modem was bad on that comment.

What's the real situation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you this is very puzzling - for soem unknown reason I am able to connect via adsl using an old usb modem - but using either of the two router/modem I have here no joy - though having said that when I tried this morning it actually worked for about 2 minutes and now its gone again. From reading stuff I believe that sometimes the lien can be good enough for the phone and a usb modem but not for a router - though why htat shoudl be I don't know - I am really very puzzled - and I was just hoping somebody might have seen this sort of thig before. MY feeling is that soemthign has changed on the ine but I'm not sure how I can prove it - or where I go from here - but thanks anyway for your help

Judy

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This sounds like wiring issues. Have you taken one of those modems to the telco service entrance and disconnected ALL the other telephone wiring and just tested the modem?

Here's my RX for interior wiring issues.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.