Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,903 Posts

· Moderator, Automotive Team
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yea, not that THAT issue is fixed now another gremlin showed its F***** face, the washing mackine, the one that was in the Pantry has a bearing grinding when it spins, I mean it sounds worse than a bad front hub on my dakota....so we bought a used one for 100 over in edentom, ,,, works great, only issue is it puurs water all over teh wood flors, so we put the grinding bearing waher back in whiel I fix this old one, and believe me its so old I can fix it now the fun part, I put all my skivies and work clothes in the washer and turned it on, it washed, then while the loid was LOCKED, it desides to come to a grinding halt, with my clothes in iot, I knwo some of you will say, " simply unplug it" well, if you can do that feel free to come umplug it and open teh lid cause when I do it it stays locked

11,903 Posts
Yep, I've experienced that too. Seems like front load washing machines do that to keep water from coming out if you were to open the door. What is the make and model number. The manufacturer may have a way to get it unlocked in an emergency.

14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I tried my best the one we bought first melted the tun to teh bearing the second one we bought has a cracked and broked plastic drum, BOTH made in the USA, I hate myself for saying this but I do not want ANYTHING made in the united states anymore, the garbage made in china lasts longer :(

11,903 Posts

14,152 Posts

11,903 Posts
Supposd it has been a while since we've purchased a top loading washing machine. Been buying front loading since probably early 2000's or so. We do have an ancient top loader up at our cottage that's still working great. Neither it, or its dryer mate lock the lids though.

14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Top load with a lid that locks shut?
Yep Whirlpool sticker says made in USA, I'm thinking made in USA by the people that knew they were losing their jobs that day, its a year old
Supposd it has been a while since we've purchased a top loading washing machine. Been buying front loading since probably early 2000's or so. We do have an ancient top loader up at our cottage that's still working great. Neither it, or its dryer mate lock the lids though.
Too day you don't live near me, I'd buy it off you, as long as it worked

11,903 Posts
Hmmm. Two problems:

1) That washer and dryer are about 800 miles NNW of me at our cottage up on Hubbard Lake in northern Michigan. Then it would be roughly 1,000 miles down to your place in North Carolina, then yet another 250 miles back up to my place here in Maryland. Right at 2,000 miles or so.

2) The wife would kill me.

;)

14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yea, plus I cant afford the gas or shipping LOL
but that OK, we might have just enough scrap out back to buy a Speed Queen if we completely disassemble everything down to each individual piece of metal, which is no problem since none of it has to go back together LOL
That is the beauty of scrap, free money if you do a little work, its just not feasable to do it full time down here like it was in Va beach, when we lived there my wife made 800 a week just in junk alone once we took it apart,

11,903 Posts
Love those solid old Speed Queens. The solenoid in the washing machine has something like 33 pounds of pull. Click, BANG! First time I saw/heard one in action I was like "That's what I'm talking about. Get'er dun!" ;)

11,903 Posts

11,903 Posts

?

11,903 Posts
That's a bummer. Maytag's usually last a while, but Speed Queen's last longer.

Anything that's mechanically sound is better than nothing at all. When I was a kid I hated our ancient wringer washer and clotheslines. Way to much work. Easier to simply run around naked. ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.