Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I dropped my laptop the other day. Not a good situation. But anyways since i dropped it there have been some interesting things happening with it.

Everything on it functionally seems to be working fine, except for the disc drive. When I go into my computer it doesnt even say that the computer has a disk drive anymore. And say if i open the tray and then close it, the computer shuts down.

Oh and another interesting thing, any internal noise that the computer may make comes through on the speakers now. At least I think thats what it is. Theres all kinds of lil squeak noises and such coming from my speakers. Also when I put a disc in (although it doesnt even see it has a disk in it) the noise of the reader comes through on the speakers as well.

Im not a computer troubleshooter kinda guy so if anyone might know what I did if you could let me kno what it is and how i might fix it that would be great.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can you describe how you dropped it? What height? Where it hit on the laptop?

I suspect a loose connection for the disk drive, and something dislodged, hitting against the fan for the noise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow you people actually kno your stuff. I asked my question on a guitar board that I use and people were just like "you're retarded" Anywho...

I dropped in transport from one room to another. It fell from about 5 feet (it was open) and it landed on the corner nearest to the disk drive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
How experienced are you with taking apart laptops? lol.

I would take it to a computer store, and ask them if theres a way it can be fixed, (cheaply).

Also, try and contact the manufacturer of the laptop, it may have an extended warranty?

How old is the laptop?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Havent ever taken a computer apart myself actually. And I bought it august 2005 and i think the warranty was only a year on it. Yeah I need to do just take it in lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Worst case scenario is that you need to replace a fan, or component AND the drive at the same time.

Best case scenario is that they open it up and re-connect everything and they charge you minimally.

Post back to let us know, I wanna see how this one turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.