Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony DRU-190A DVD burner installed on my new machine.
Installed, but not working properly.
The Drive shows up as a "DVD Ram" drive, which isnt what it said on my last machine. I tried to update the drivers for it, but according to Sony's website, this drive does not exist. It will read a formatted disk just fine (ie games, movies, etc) but when I put in a blank disk, I get an error message that says "D:\is not accessible incorrect function"

Any idea as to whats going on?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I loaded the drivers with the XP sp3 install. The bios shows the drive as a DVD-RW drive. I had the problem about a year ago as well, but I thought it was the drive, so I bought a new one.

Also, this drive is IDE (I know...I know) but the device manager shows it (along with a working CD-RW drive) as a SCSI drive.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi,
What issues were you having with the original CD-rom?

Is this the only drive connected to the Ribbon cable?

If you have 2 CD-rom devices:
Is one jumpered to Master and attached at the end of the ribbon cable?
The second CD-rom device jumpered to Slave and attached in the middle of the ribbon cable?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is nothing wrong with the CD-RW drive. It is on the slave connector of the cable with the DVD-RW on the master. I honestly never checked the jumpers on the drive though. It worked just fine before I rebuilt the system. I'll check it when I get home.

Could that be the reason as to why it shows up as a DVD-Ram in the device manager?

What about the SCSI in the connection when it is as IDE?

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
I would check that it is jumpered correctly
The DVD-Ram drive should be jumpered as master and at the end of the ribbon cable.
Tha CD-RW drive should be jumpered as Slave and attached to the middle of the ribbon cable.

I would also check the ribbon cable connections

This is a DVD-RAM drive, so that is why you "see" it as a DVD-Ram in the Device Manager.

I am not sure what you mean by this though:
It worked just fine before I rebuilt the system
What do you mean by rebuilt?
Was this DVD-RAM drive working before you Rebuilt this system

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
I am not sure what you mean by this though:

What do you mean by rebuilt?
Was this DVD-RAM drive working before you Rebuilt this system

Thanks,
Bill
Bill - What I meant was that I had this drive in my old computer. I built this new one a couple months ago and have just now needed to burn a DVD. I had both the DVD-RW and CD-RW drives in my old system installed in the same way (DVD on master, CD on slave) and had no issues with either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you install mobo drivers, chipset drivers?
I installed all the drivers from gigabyte that I could find that were applicable to my board. I looked on Sony's website for something and the drive wasnt listed. I found a firmware upgrade on a site called x-driver or something (found it on google) and that didnt change anything after the installation

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.