Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently purchased a new Motherboard. XFX nForce 750i SLI Extreme Motherboard to be exact.

The main question I have here, or "issue" is that when I go to play World of Warcraft, after a few minute my computer locks up, and I have to manually restart. It's not a heat issue, I've checked my temps while playing, and after I've rebooted and their normal. I can play Counter-Strike Source maxed out for hours with no issues.

I've recently updated my Audio and Ethernet Drivers. The other question I have is of the following. I've never heard of these, so if someone can tell me what they do/are for, and why their important/not important, that would be great.

NVIDIA Display Driver
NVIDIA SMBus Driver
NVIDIA Away Mode Driver
NVIDIA Storage Driver

As I said if anyone has any information about these and their importance, please let me know. Also if anyone has any suggestions on why my computer would be locking up, that would be great. I'll try to do some more research on why it is, though I've been looking for about 30 minutes and haven't found anything.

Thanks, IceCold​

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Please list the rest of your specs including video card, power supply brand name and watts, memory, etc.

Check the temps and voltages in the bios and post them so we know what everything is in the rig.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motherboard: XFX 750i SLI Extreme Edition
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling 515 Watt 1 Rail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0Ghz
Memory: 2 Gigs (2x 1Gig) OCZ Platinum PC6400 DDR2
GPU: Nvidia 7800GTX
Harddrives: 1x 80 Gig WD SATA, 1x 74 Gig WD Raptor (10,000 RPM) SATA

The temps run about normal, using CoreTemp my CPU is at 27-28C Idle, and gets to about 40C under load while gaming. The GPU Idle's about 34-36C, and gets to about 47-50C under load while gaming. I'd say their about normal.

The issue with the gaming crashing, I believe is resolved. I had copied over some saved files from my previous computer I was using, and after doing a bit more research it seems that it had to do with the Sound Drivers. I updated them, and made sure they were selected ingame, didn't seem to crash after about 1-2 hours of play time. As where before it'd crash after about 5-10 minutes.

My questions remains about the previous Drivers I listed above and their importance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also it seems to be an issue of when I load into an area I have not been before. I loaded into 2 areas within WoW and it was fine. Once I loaded into an area I hadn't been, and played for about 5-10 minutes it crashed. Once I rebooted it was fine.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Did you by any chance do either a repair install or a reformat when you changed motherboards? If you are using the old hard drive, you would have to either do the repair install or reformat for it to work properly and you would also have to load the chipset drivers for the new board.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sir, I reformatted right off the bat as I know there are issues with Drivers and such upon installing new hardware, especially a Motherboard. I've been working with computers for a long time, so I'm not a noob. :)

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
When you contacted me via PM, you wanted me to address if you should update the bios. You had also reformatted again and reloaded all drivers.
You can update the bios if you wish, but after you mentioned the crash issue has seemed to stop, I would not update the bios unless you are having a problem.

That motherboard is a picky one (I just don't use them because they are so precarious and hard to get working correctly), so you have to treat it with kid gloves. So, if not broken or working correctly, then don't update the bios, but if it is still giving problems, then do update the bios.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a picky Motherboard? I did a bit of research on it before I chose which one to get. This seemed like the best one. I also sent a Ticket to their Support to see what they suggest. As said in the PM I ran a lot of tests today and just reformatted another time as the Games I had installed on my Secondary HD that I ran some of the HD tools on corrupted the Data. Takes me about roughly an hour for a complete reformat so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
What issues are you having right now? Be very specific and we will see what we can do.

Yes, those motherboards are wonderful when they are working correctly, but they are difficult to get to run like the racehorse they are designed to be. Most of the techs on this forum have the same opinion, so I am not alone on that issue.

Have a nice rest of the weekend and I will look for your post describing the issues you are still having.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
XFX is not one of my favorite brands for any product. Intel CPU's prefer Intel chipsets. Nvidia makes great GPU chips but not so great Mobo chips. Probably why they quit using their chipsets and went to Intel on their own brand Mobo's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, well I was thinking more of a price basis, was working with a budget. I've read good reviews as I said. Another computer before I was using this one was an Nvidia Chipset and it was an MSI board using AMD, worked fine. I'm just finishing getting the game installed and updated. I'll fool around on it and see what happens. Then I'll post on here with some updates.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other thing I did notice is it's only the first initial load of an Area I haven't been. After I reboot, the system never seems to have an issue in that Area again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, tried playing just a minute ago. Was running fine for about 30 minutes in an Area I had already been. Loaded into an area I hadn't yet on this computer, after about 5-10 minutes the screen locks up, the sound is still going though with no issues. Eventually the monitor will just go to a Black screen. Though it's not saying it doesn't have a signal. It doesn't make any sense because immediately following the reboot I open CoreTemp and Everest to check my Temps, and their a little higher than normal Idle but nothing that would indicate overheating. I've also checked while playing before a lockup and their normal for being under load. It really isn't making any sense...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts but I can't seem to edit them, maybe there's a time limit on how long you have to edit them. I've seen limits on other forums.

I've checked my Motherboard and my Bios is American Megatrends Inc. V1.4B1. The latest "Update" on XFXForce.com support is V1.4. So I guess there's no update there.

One other thing I've been thinking of is the "overclock" pin. Though I'm not sure of it. I've sent a Ticket to XFXForce's Support. I'm thinking about doing the same for WoW. I just want this issue resolved. I've never had this happen before :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It appears as if I've resolved the issue. I've been playing for hours now "Teleporting" in an out of Area's I haven't yet been on this computer with no issues or lockups at all. Will do some more testing and report back asap. Thanks everyone :)

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
test your ram with memtest86. Freezing and lockups is usually associated with ram, heat or power.

since your heat is ok then I would suspect one of the others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.