Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to update the drivers on my computer to see if I can remedy some problems I am having. I was wondering which drivers should be updated periodically, and if there is an order in which I should update them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you can, all of them, and in no particular order. For example, if you have a graphics card, network card, sound card, printer, etc., then you will want to go to the manufactuer's website and see if they have any updated drivers that you may want to download.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My second question would be, what things require drivers? I know about the basics such as video card, sound card, motherboard……but what else should I look for? I use Everest HE, so finding out what make my components are isn’t a problem. I have updated drivers before, but only the afore mentioned ones I know to do.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Actually, the motherboard chipset drivers should be installed first as some other drivers rely on them (video drivers in particular).

If a driver is marked as a beta version (a test version) then I suggest you don't use it unless it was specifically released to correct a problem you are currently having.

Do not update all drivers at once, do the update one at a time and reboot-this way if a problem occurs due to driver error it's easier to recover the system.

DO NOT use a website's live updates feature, download the files first then install them. Also, copy them to a storage drive or burn to CD if possible so their readily available should they be needed, (murphy's law "If anything can go wrong, it will").

------------------------------------------------------------------
The motherboard manufacturer's website usually has webpages dedicated to drivers and applications for each board and their onboard devices. The drivers are listed by version numbers and release dates, you only need download the newest drivers.

If you have add on cards (like video, sound, NIC, and modem) then you will likely need to get the driver from that manufacturer's website. Often, Everest provides links so use it to find the websites when possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there more than one driver for a motherboard? I see many people using the plural when they speak of them.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
There can be several drivers related to a particular mobo, depends on the onboard devices and how new the board is (newer mobos have more features and need more drivers).

Perhaps it would be easier if you give us the make and model of the mobo then we can give details, links to websites, etc.

Also, might help if you briefly describe the problem as it may not be driver related.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My motherboard is a MSI 645 Ultra (MS 6547).

To be honest, I’m really not sure if my drivers have anything to do with my problem. They are just the next step in a long line of tests and failures on the way to trying to solve my computer problems.

Now, my problems. About 10 months ago I started getting random freezes and shutdowns on my computer. The computer would lock up or restart when loading, and would crash randomly during programs. This became more and more frequent until eventually it refused to start up at all. I took it to a computer place and had them reformat the hard drive.

For the first few weeks everything seemed to be working just fine. There were no crashes or freezes, and all my gaming programs ran smoothly. Then the problems started to creep back. Now my problems are as follows. Whilst running no programs or an internet search engine, I get freeze-ups. Playing video game I either get crashes to desktop (more frequent), or my computer restarts altogether (less frequent). When I say crashes to desktop, it really is more like a blip to desktop. The program doesn’t make any funny noise, or give any other kind of warning, it just shuts off….BLIP.

I have tried various programs to scan for spyware, Trojans, etc. (Adaware, Spybot SD, AVG, Symantec, Panda), and cleaned out the several small things I found. This did nothing. I clean my temp folders regularly, and until a week ago had no problems. This week however, there are temp files called Perflib_Perfdata*** that I can’t seem to get rid of.

I checked the Event Viewer and found a number of past errors. There are three ones that are most common; PerfNet, vsmon.exe, and ctltask.exe. There are also a large number of errors with no information. I checked out the possibility of virus problems associated with these programs, but could find no traces of viruses in the specified locations on my computer. During CTD’s, no error message is posted in the Event Viewer.

I also posted a Log file in the Log section of this forum, but they found nothing of danger.

That basically sums it up. I have no money for new parts, so I am trying everything that doesn’t cost first, in hopes of at least making this problem liveable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.