Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to search but found nothing like my problem.
I've looked at the FAQs and searched the stick above and seen others with a similar setup as mine so I know it's possible to get my computer working.

I turned on the blue screen of death. and got this error.

high resolution of same pic above

I have a Asus p4pce800-e deluxe mb that i just got back from RMA with asus and they told me they found no problems with it.
my video card is ATI 9800xt with cat 5.7 drivers.
i've used 5.6 and all the ones earlier.
oh i get randome reboots in video games.
typical games i play city of heroes, half life 2 which by the way came with the card and still reboots damn this card.
if there is more needed i'll try to provide.
thanks in advance anyone.

Edit: full sys specs
Asus P4Pc800-e Deluxe
AMI BIOS 8.00.09
ID P4CED106
BUILD DATE 12/06/04
USB Legacy Disabled​
OCZ 450w PSU
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 (2.5-3-3-6) (2.75 ref 400mhz)
ATI9800xt cat 5.7
Audigy 2 Platinum
WinXP Pro SP2
DVD-Rom
Emprex DVDRW
No Floppy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
@ RainmanCP
Welcome :smile: . IMHO, sounds like a memory overheating problem, either with your RAM or your GPU memory, with your in-game freezes. Make sure you have good airflow for proper cooling and you might benefit from monitoring your temps. Also, check to making sure your memory and your graphics card are properly seated in their respective slots.

Try to run Memtest to test your RAM. One stick of 512 is not very much for gaming, even with the 9800xt. You may need more, or turn down your quality settings until your game runs stable.

Update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already.

The ATI Catalyst 5.8 drivers are now available, tho I doubt these will help your situation. The ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide is a pretty thorough guide to help you with your 9800xt settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i see new 5.8 drivers are out i will try to update to them.
i know 512 is not enough, there is a reason why i don't have more and i will explain here.
i have had this problem with my pc since day 1. it froze on me when i was installing WinXP. it froze on me in mid installation. i just restarted it.
it happens a lot when i play games more often if i just surf the internet.
i've used memtest to test my ram almost got a RMA from corsair but didn't cuz i determined it was good with memtest in every slot.
i've replaced my PSU from a 300w to 450w twice.
I've replaced the Heatsink & fan on my CPU (intel p4 3.2 800fsb ht) with thermal take 90c with thermal paste
i've replaced the fan on my ATI card with a ATI Silencer rev.4 whatever fits my card.
I've replaced my intake and exhaust fans. there is good airflow.
nothing ever gets hot. i even have a big fan cooling it from the side. i can touch anything on my card without getting burned. checking temps nothing ever goes too hot even while it reboots or just after.
i spent so much money replacing part after part i just didn't find it in my heart to by new RAM.
i updated my bios to the latest version but when I RMAed it back to Asus they flashed it to the one i listed above.
I built this computer to play games and do it at high quality settings. i don't want to lower the settings. by the way i've tried it does it too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78,002 Posts
the bsod is telling you that your ati drivers are not installed properly and are the cause of your bsod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
possible cause?

hey mate ive read ur post and the problems uve been having mirror mine pretty well.

i just recently bought a P4P800E-Deluxe mobo and ever since my comp has bin problematic at best.

i used to only loose my sound when in sounds, but since i upgraded the sound drivers its been locking up like 10 -20 mins into games, and giving me that blue screen of death now and then.

i took it to the shop and they sent it back saying everything should work perfectly but to my complete surprise (i swear!) its still broke.

what are your audio drivers? i think alot of ppl have had trouble with Realtek Audio with Asus mobos. anyway..

might help identify the problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dai said:
the bsod is telling you that your ati drivers are not installed properly and are the cause of your bsod
ok i did a clean uninstall via this thread http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33606840

and it still does the same thing. i've updgraded to cat 5.8 drivers
downgraded to 5.6 drivers. still the same.
maybe i will contact ati for possible rma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I've had a p4p 800e-deluxe for over 12 months and it's the best, most stable mb I have ever had. I can't remember the last time I had a bsod. In fact, I don't think I've ever had one. Your problem screams 'drivers' and I've also heard that the onboard sound causes many a hiccup. This is easily corrected with a $30 soundcard. I agree with previous respondents that you should visit the asus website and upgrade your bios, ac97, inf utility etc. I assume from the flavour of your posts that maybe you have a good understanding of computers but I stress, when flashing the bios do not use the asus online upgrade service. Use the afudos utility. Also, if you are going to flash the bios it's judicious to back-up all important files or even the whole drive. Now this is important. You describe your mb as a p4pc800e-deluxe. It can't be both. Is it a p4p800e or a p4c800e. If it's the former then you have the incorrect bios installed. If it's the latter then all is cool. BTW, while you're at the Asus website, download the latest manual. It will make you familiar with all the different bios settings. Oh dear, I just had another look at your specs. No floppy. That precludes using afudos unless you install one.

Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have the P4c800-e motherboard and installed an ATI X800 AGP using the cd. I don't know whether or not you have installed the catalyst control centre as well off the install cd. If so unistall it and just leave the drivers on. I checked when my system kept freezing up and noticed that was a common problem. After unistalling the control centre and leaving only drivers (updated from net) the card now works great.

If your running straight drivers and nothing else, I heard they have known issues and there are alternative drivers out their (supposedly, I haven't had to use any of them) See: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jonss said:
I've had a p4p 800e-deluxe for over 12 months and it's the best, most stable mb I have ever had. I can't remember the last time I had a bsod. In fact, I don't think I've ever had one. Your problem screams 'drivers' and I've also heard that the onboard sound causes many a hiccup. This is easily corrected with a $30 soundcard. I agree with previous respondents that you should visit the asus website and upgrade your bios, ac97, inf utility etc. I assume from the flavour of your posts that maybe you have a good understanding of computers but I stress, when flashing the bios do not use the asus online upgrade service. Use the afudos utility. Also, if you are going to flash the bios it's judicious to back-up all important files or even the whole drive. Now this is important. You describe your mb as a p4pc800e-deluxe. It can't be both. Is it a p4p800e or a p4c800e. If it's the former then you have the incorrect bios installed. If it's the latter then all is cool. BTW, while you're at the Asus website, download the latest manual. It will make you familiar with all the different bios settings. Oh dear, I just had another look at your specs. No floppy. That precludes using afudos unless you install one.

Jon
yea i'm fairly familiar cuz i did search b4 posting. i'm not using onboard sound
look at my first post i'm using Audigy 2 platinum.
yes i know i should update my bios, but like i said i did have it at the newest one but when I RMAed it back to Asus they flashed it to the one i listed above. i do have a floppy that i can use.
thanks a lot for all you for your help. i just will have to continue living with the random reboots.

for the poster above me i'm using the control panel, not the fancy one. that one gave me serious problems. i have tried other drivers out there the one you listed and many others still have same problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
i just will have to continue living with the random reboots.
Well, you're a better man than I am. It would drive me bats. OK, if asus flashed to that bios, it's correct. My only other suggestions would be to totally uninstall your gpu drivers and then re-install them. Someone here may advise you on this as it's a while since I've had an ati gpu. Apparently, the uninstall process is not as easy as just going into Add/Remove programs and doing it from there. There are other steps to take. When I did have an ati card in this system, I experienced that later drivers were not always better drivers for my card. Try some of the older drivers around the vintage of your card as an experiment. This system of yours; have you oc'd it at all? Because that can cause random reboots. Here's a thought. Have you checked to see if the fan on your gpu is actually working? Basically, I couldn't rest until I had the problem sorted. It is a very good mb and there is no reason for it to be doing what it's doing. You've run all the spyware, adware, virus, trojan and rootkit revealers have you? As I say, it'd drive me nuts. Oh, and uninstall/re-install your sound card drivers. There might be a glitch in there. While you're at it, check your 'device manager' to find out if there are any conflicts (black and yella question marks).

Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Well I checked the web for similar posts and found one. Doesn't start off the same but after some time the same ATI DLL file caused the same blue screen screw up and the user changed the drivers over and over again and even reinstalled windows. End result was = a 6 month old strip of ram gone bad. He took it out and the mess was fixed.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=190759&page=1

I know the thread starts off differently, but half way down first page and you'll see the exact same prblem, then skip to second page for the fix. Might be worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Here's parts of the thread


"Per SuperSparks instructions disabled "auto restart". The problem occurred again this morning but resulted in a Stop error Screen instead of a restart with the following message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati2cpag.dll
Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area
Restart computer

If problems continue, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical info:
***Stop:0x00000050(0xC240E900,0x00000000,0xBFA1263A,0x00000000)
***ati2cqag.dll-Address BFA1263A base at BFA09000, DateStamp 411096bd
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical dump of memory complete."

"Okay, I think I am back up and running again. Somehow, I screwed up my system big time. Just performed a clean install of XP Pro after numerous stop error messages attempting to clean install. Finally, as a last result I put my old stick of 128 mg ram back in and guess what? XP installed with no problem and no stop error screens. The culprit the whole time looks to be bad ram! Sorry this reply took so long but I couldn't even access the internet.

Thanks again to those who took the time to help me!"

"Ok, I'm satisfied that the cause of the random restarts was bad ram. No restarts and no other problems to date since replacing the ram. Problem solved.
FYI... Avant PC-133 is the brand of ram that went bad after only 6 months."

you never know
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78,002 Posts
ati2cqag.dll
this tells you your ati drivers have not been installed properly or they have corrupted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I would suggest you uninstall your drivers, run driver cleaner and reinstall the drivers. The cleaner program will remove all traces of old drivers which may be causing a conflict with the fresh install.
You can get driver cleaner here. Make sure you read the instructions. :smile:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jonss said:
Well, you're a better man than I am. It would drive me bats. OK, if asus flashed to that bios, it's correct. My only other suggestions would be to totally uninstall your gpu drivers and then re-install them. Someone here may advise you on this as it's a while since I've had an ati gpu. Apparently, the uninstall process is not as easy as just going into Add/Remove programs and doing it from there. There are other steps to take. When I did have an ati card in this system, I experienced that later drivers were not always better drivers for my card. Try some of the older drivers around the vintage of your card as an experiment. This system of yours; have you oc'd it at all? Because that can cause random reboots. Here's a thought. Have you checked to see if the fan on your gpu is actually working? Basically, I couldn't rest until I had the problem sorted. It is a very good mb and there is no reason for it to be doing what it's doing. You've run all the spyware, adware, virus, trojan and rootkit revealers have you? As I say, it'd drive me nuts. Oh, and uninstall/re-install your sound card drivers. There might be a glitch in there. While you're at it, check your 'device manager' to find out if there are any conflicts (black and yella question marks).

Jon
i've tried doing what you said. i've gone in uninstalled drivers. deleted all registry keys, delete all files associated with ati under c:\windows installed new ati cat 5.8. just the drivers and control. i haven't used that other fancy thing they have cuz that caused me problems b4. i have reinstalled my audigy 2 card about 15 times, even taken it off the system completely still the same random reboots. no device conflicts. i am fairly competent when it comes to computers. degree in MIS, MSCE Cert., and been a Network Admin for about 5+ years now. yea i've had this board since jan of '03 and had to live with these random reboots. as you can see from my earlier post. i've tried everything replacing everything except video card, hard drive, memory, and motherboard. i know this is a very good board that's why i bought it. just didn't know i would get this much problems


dai said:
ati2cqag.dll
this tells you your ati drivers have not been installed properly or they have corrupted
i've did a clean install of the drivers in all possible portions of the computer. and installed the latest cat 5.8 drivers. still the same results. i will try again this evening to reinstall windows then i will be for sure it's not bad driver install.

picfreak said:
Well I checked the web for similar posts and found one. Doesn't start off the same but after some time the same ATI DLL file caused the same blue screen screw up and the user changed the drivers over and over again and even reinstalled windows. End result was = a 6 month old strip of ram gone bad. He took it out and the mess was fixed.
i have Corsair 512mb cmx512-3200c2 and done memtest on it per Corsair's request. I almost got a RMA from them, but they said it was good. I may try buying new/more ram but it's so expensive i wanna try that last result


I just like to say I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. The suggestions and everything. I will try a reinstall of windows with newest ATI Cat 5.8 Drivers. I will run it bare minium. Just CPU, Hard drive, Video Card, and DVD-rom. Install the 1 game I love to play City of Heroes and try and play just to see if that works. I will post my findings in a day or so.

AGAIN THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP GUYS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yea to answer someone's question i have the
P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard.

I'm dling the newest bios for it right now and will do it via flash with floppy drive.
but will try a reinstall of windows running bare min to see if it helps
if that doesn't i will flash to newest bios and try again.

please any other suggestion that i haven't tried please let me know i will try them.
i will be ordering new RAM in the comming days just to eliminate that possiblity. another ~$100.00 gone to the computer lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78,002 Posts
when you install your drivers are disabling your a/virus,as it can cause a corruption of the install
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top