Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running Windows XP on my old KDS-195e since XP came out and never had any problems. I bought BF2 recently and have been having crashing issues, and while investigating the problem I found out that I don't have XP drivers for the monitor. Even if that isn't the problem with crashing I imagine I should update, but I can't find any on the web (looks like no one uses this monitor any more).

Any ideas/tips would be great!

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
if the monitor has been running on xp,then xp has the driver built in,post more details on the crashing if you are receiving error messages post them

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No errors are associated with the crashes. While in BF2 one of three things happens:

1) The system reboots.

2) The screen goes to standby- black screen and the power LED indicates it is asleep. No response to anything I do (sometimes I can still hear the music from the game, othertimes no). I have to reboot manually.

3) The screen becomes covered with a smearing of colors, typically similar to whatever colors were on screen at that time. Again, no response and I have to reboot manually.

I should also note that a similar problem occurred outside of BF2 for the first time today; the screen went black with the white underscore blipping in the upper left. I was just running MSWord; I had to reboot manually.

My system should be able to handle the game:
WinXP Pro SP2
Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB (Catalyst 5.9 Drivers- same problems with .8 and .8a)
PIV 3.2 GHz
2 GB DDR Ram

Also note that I got this monitor something like 6 or 7 years ago. I'd love to find that this issue is unrelated and keep it (the reason I've kept it for so long is because a new monitor with the same viewable area would be like $500+), but it very well could be that it is finally getting old. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
if you are receiving no error screens and you can restart the computer straight away
then i would suspect you are underpowered or the p/s is going or the last the video card

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Lujan
What Dai says is right on, and your monitor driver is most likely not the problem. WinXP probably uses some default driver for your monitor. Is your monitor listed when you go to 'display properties>settings' or does it just say 'default monitor' or 'plug-and-play monitor'? I don't think KPS made a driver for WinXP, but here is their driver page with your monitor on it if you are interested in trying it. Be warned that it may not work as well as the WinXP driver.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, guys. I did some more testing and found that my computer was overheating- I did an upgrade last spring and apparently when I moved back into the un-airconditioned dorms this fall my old cooling system couldn't hack it.

Add a 120mm system fan and a strategically placed regular fan and problem solved (I hope).

I've yet to crash, though BF2 is still being kind of choppy. I'm guessing that my old PS (350W) is feeling the burn from a new fan and being old and whatnot, so I ordered myself a new 500W PS. Hopefully that'll resolve all the remaining issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.