Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1TB Seagate Free agent GoFlex has some error in opening the disk.

First it asks me to format the drive before being able to use it. Of course, I won't format it because its full of data. After that cancelling that dialog, an error message will appear saying: "Drive is Not Accessible: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)".

I have 800 GB of files(photos and doc) which is worth able. Kindly help me in retrieving the data.

I dint try "chkdsk G: /f /r" as it would delete some files from bad sector.

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
Files on bad sectors could be corrupted anyway so I wouldn't let that stop you doing an error check, in any case you may be better off doing that anyway since at present you can't access any files on it at all.

It's very unwise to save important data on only one hard drive. It's also unwise to continue using a hard drive if you know it has bad sectors which keep multiplying - a sure sign of imminent failure.

You may want to test the drive with Seagate SeaTools for Windows using the 'Long' test. Click 'Downloads' on this page: SeaTools | Seagate

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
CRC errors are caused by bad sectors or because the drive is not communicating with the computer. You can remove the HDD from the Seagate enclosure and attach it via USB Adapter, or put it in another USB Enclosure with a power adapter, as the logic board inside the enclosure may be failing. Then run chkdsk /F on the drive to Check for Errors on the drive.
How To Open Seagate Free-Agent Go Drive 2.5 in - YouTube

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to all for their comments. I tried to check how many sectors are affected by chkdsk H:, which showed 2 sectors are affected. After which I tried with chkdsk /F, which resolved the problem. And now I can access data and copy to disk.

One more thing is that will the problem affects the disk in future?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I will follow the steps. Still I have warranty for the HDD, do I can ask for a replacement HDD for Data Error reason with the dealer?

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
Yes! If you have had the drive for more then 30 days you cannot return it to the store. But you can Return Merchandise Authorization the drive back to Seagate. They will send you a refurbished one in 6-8 weeks after they receive the bad drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.