Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the SATA drive. Formatted it. Assigned it a letter. It won't show up in My Computer, but I can access it by typing in the drive letter in Windows Explorer and when I do this it comes up under My Computer in the "Folders" side pane

Data writes and reads from the drive fine.

I've tried formatting it and deleting the partition and creating a new one.

What the **** is goin on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the SATA drive. Formatted it. Assigned it a letter. It won't show up in My Computer, but I can access it by typing in the drive letter in Windows Explorer and when I do this it comes up under My Computer in the "Folders" side pane

Data writes and reads from the drive fine.

I've tried formatting it and deleting the partition and creating a new one.

What the **** is goin on?
What do the properties say when you right-click on the drive in WinExp?

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing i found to be unusual. it is being read rather normally, and working normally. But I don't understand why it won't just show up in the My Computer window. All other storage devices work fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a puzzler.

Open up Administrative Tools and click on Computer Management, then under Storage, click on the Disk Management applet.

Does all that look like it should?

While you're in Computer Management you might expand the Event Viewer and open up the System log file. See if there's anything in there.

Basically, I'm stumped.

Mark

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
The volume letter may conflict with some other removable flash drive. If it works when you give it the e: volume letter then I'd leave it as it is.

Else refer to your motherboard manual to make sure the hard drive is plugged correctly and its jumper is set properly. For instance, on my Asus P5B motherboard the jumper needs to be set as slave if the drive is hooked on the SATA3 or SATA4 ports and as master if on another SATA port (1, 2, 5, 6). Try another SATA port if available.

Unplug all your USB devices (use the safely remove hardware icon), restart the computer with no external flash drives/HDD attached and see if it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.