Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going around on the web that some websites are so smart, they can actually run a virus by only going to the page. Very interesting.

Being a tech person myself, I'm well aware that a virus is a program and the only way it can run is if it is first executed on your system.

It doesn't matter how smart the site is, it is unfortunately limited by the fact that IE8 for example does not let any software get installed on your system unless you consent to the download.

Now I agree that sites can offer the download to you without you clicking on anything, but you still have to click run which is quite easy to mistakingly do if you're new to the internet.

Now I only see this rumor as another ploy for antivirus software which I refuse to use (or pay for for that matter) to pump more dollars out of you. They're basically trying to scare people into buying their product by making it seem like sites can do more than they actually can.

However, I have no problem with being proved wrong. If someone out there can create a website that can do this or knows one already, I'm more than happy to test it out.

·
Deceased
14,580 Posts
Hi:

This site like most others are geared towards the average user, not some tech person such as you say you are.

Please don't recommend that these "average users" don't need an active AV, they do. Even the experts I know use one.

If you would like to be infected, by a drive by, PM me and I will see I can do to help you out.

BG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry if you were mistaken but nowhere in my post did I reccommend that people not use Antivirus software. I think that for some people it can be very useful, but not every body needs it.

Yes I am interested in your offer. What does PM mean. Let me know what site you know of.

·
Premium Member
39,538 Posts
Hi and welcome

You are more likely to collect a trojan or worm rather than a virus. Merely clicking on a frame on a website can be enough to cause an infection - and even IE will not notice. Malware authors are very clever - they exploit weaknesses and flaws in apps such as IE and Windows itself, as well as server applications to deliver a payload that you won't even notice.

Everyone should have an AV - while not perfect it will at least offer you a measure of protection.

·
Deceased
14,580 Posts
Hi:

I started to post again here, but I have changed my mind on what I was going to say. I withdraw my offer of getting you a site with a drive by.

There is no way that I know of that you will not send it to somebody you do not like, is there?

BG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

That's very interesting. Isn't this a forum where people are supposed to be HELPING each other.

If what you're saying is true, then this will help me as I will have to then make my computer secure.

Why in the world would you think I would sent it to someone. I guess there are sick people in this would do something like that because of pure evil but I'm definitely not one of them. And if I was don't you think I would know one for myself?

Please send it to me. I'm very interested in trying it out.

·
Deceased
14,580 Posts
No one here is going to help you get infected. It is violation our rules (and their intent).

Yes, we are help site, but we are not going to help you to get infected. We are here to help fix things, not create them.

BG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.