Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm having a serious problem trying to recover files from my hard drive. I'm running Windows XP on an Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard, with a Maxtor hardrive. When I turned on my computer a couple days ago it would not start up. It makes it to the startup splash screen, and then there is a blue screen for a split second and then it restarts. I tried starting with "use previous settings that worked", and in various safe modes, with the same result. In safe mode, I saw that it makes it to loading Mup.sys before it crashes. I checked online for various solutions. I've tried removing all my PCI cards (except video), turning off USB, turning off RAID, turning off everything -- no dice. I tried using the Windows recovery console -- it gave me a C:\ prompt, didn't ask for a password, and returned an error when I tried to do a DIR. Wanting to at least retrieve my data -- at least 10 GB of valuable (to me) documents -- I've removed the hard drive, made a new Windows XP installation on a new hard drive, and then reinstalled the problem drive on the second IDE channel. Howeber, with the problem drive installed the computer will not start up (it doesn't hang, it just displays "Windows starting" for hours). This seems like the drive must be damaged, but when reattach it as the primary boot device, it does the same thing as before (booting and then failing at Mup.sys), so obviously the computer is able to access the drive. I'd rather try to solve this problem myself, with a minimal expenditure of money, if possible... Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do next?

Thanks,
Alec
[email protected]

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is this an OEM version of XP? I've seen things exactly like this happen on OEM XP systems after SP-1 has been installed. Last month this hit my sister's system and drove me nuts. I can't remember the exact error message, but if you're able to catch the blue screen message before it reboots, it might ring a bell. If I recall correctly, it had something to do with the IPSEC, lsass, and logging into Windows. I believe the actual error message was something of other having to do with lsass.exe.

I had no luck with hooking it up as a slave to pull data off since the computer wouldn't boot for me this way, either.

I ended up running the Maxtor utility to check it for errors, along with some Microsoft utility to help restore the corrupt boot record. However, the repair to the boot record made the drive unreadable. I believe the drive was unreadable, anyway. Next time I'm there I plan to write the drive with zeros and see if it was simply a software related glitch.

Thankfully I had noticed some odd things going on and saved all my sister's documents to CD's a week or two before this all hit. My only guess as to how to save your data is to somehow set up the hard drive as a network drive on a separate system. However, I believe that the system would still need to be able to boot up in order to get on the network.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as described. I bought a new PC and was wondering if it was possible to access the data if I installed the drive as a 2nd drive in my new PC. I am not convinced that the drive is the problem.

My drive is NTFS so I suspect this will be an issue .... any pointers?

·
Registered
376 Posts
When putting the old drive in the new computer, make sure the old drive is set up as a slave and the new computer's drive is set up as a master. This is done by jumper settings on the drives.

If your new computer is running Windows XP, it will access the NTFS perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks, I have installed it as a slave and I can now access most of my data ... so grateful.

Only problem that I have is that I cannot access F:\Documents and Settings\Ritch

I assume that this needs to be done from my user account on the old Xp system.

Unfortunately this folder has a lot of the good stuff.

Still ..... I have managed to get most recovered.

As a footnote. The disk went trough a full test and repair on booting up. Errors were found and fixed. So maybe there was a disk problem although I am still convinced the problem lay with the motherboard.

Thanks,

Ritch

·
Registered
376 Posts
If your log-in name matches the name on your slave drive, I wonder if you could access it that way. Someone on here should know how to bypass things to get in there.

You're logged in as administrator on your new drive, so you should be able to access all parts of the slave drive, I assume.

Glad you're able to get some of your data off so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cracked it!!

Install the old drive in new PC as slave.

Select the old drive then Tools, Folder Options, View and unticked 'use simple sharing'. Then in the Security Tab select Advanced then Owner.

Select Administer from the list and tick in the select box.

Replace Owner on Subcontainers and Objects select Apply.

Go to the Permission tab the group should show 'Full Control'. Select "Replace permissions on all child ....... " press OK.

The System will then go through all files setting permissions (may take some time).

When finished .. Hey Presto ... you have access to all files on the old drive.

All's well that ends well!!

Ritch

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ouch to the hard drive problem!

Thankful you were able to rescue all of your important files, though.
I try to make backups of everything on a regular basis in case things like this happen to me.
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.