Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everytime I go into sub-directories my windows explorer freezes. If I go to task manager and end the explorer.exe, I can open a new one and everything runs fine until I go back into certain sub-directories. If I just sit for about 3 minutes and don't close the explorer.exe, Dr Watsons Postmortem Debugger comes up with an error and asks if I want to send the error information to Windows. This happens everytime I go through sub-directories in windows explorer. It seems to happen when I go into big folders, I went into a folder that has alot of sub-directories with .iso files and alot of other archive files. The other sub-directory folders I have problems with are on another physical drive which has alot of video files. I used the chkdsk utility with windows on both drives. I can explore the folders if I was to use another programs file browser and nothing will freeze.

I updated my AV and my anti-spyware scanner. I use AVG 7.0 for my virus scanner and I use the windows anti-spyware scanner. I use the windows SP2 firewall. I ran the Tuneup Utilities 2006 program. I ran the diskcleaner, registry cleaner, registry defrag, and system optimizer. Nothing helped. I went to system restore and it won't let me go back to the month of September. This problem started about 3-4 days ago, I uninstalled all the programs I installed during that period. Also, when I first formatted this drive and installed windows(which was about 2 weeks ago) I was using the Administrator login because I didn't make a regular username login. Then I made a regular login username, I rebooted and the administrator login dissapeared. I believe thats when I started having problems, I can't remember if it was before or after I started using the other username. Is there someway I can get the administrator login to show up again? I think this may fix my problem, but knowing my pc it most likely will not.

Also, I am having another problem, that is sort of unrelated to this one. When I made the other username, I made it because I wanted to access files on another drive. Files that were in the Documents and Settings folder ( Favorites, Cookies, Desktop) it only happens with those folders. I try to go into those folders and it says its not accessible then it says access is denied. I tried hooking the drive up as t he boot drive but my windows won't recognize the drive as being bootup(the drive was my bootup drive with windows XP installed on it up to about 2 and a half weeks ago). Is there some program that will let me access those files?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

Oh I forgot, PC specs:
Intel 3.2 ghz
2 ghz of corsair 3200 dual channel memory
4 physical hard drives( 1 WD 200gig hd IDE, 1 250gig maxtor IDE, 1 160gig maxtor IDE, 1 300gig maxtor sata)

The drives giving me the issues with the freezing explorers are the WD 200gig one, that is the master drive, that is directly connected to my mobo and the 160 maxtor drive which is my slave which is directly connected to my mobo. The 300 gb one is connected to a pci card and the 250 gb one is also connected to a pci card.

If I forgot anything or if you need anymore information, I will do my best to figure it out and post the info. Thanks again

I think it's something to do with video files and my explorer crashing. I went into folders with archives and nothing happened but then I went into folders with video files and it crashes. I also went into folders with archive files and video files and it crashed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should use another file exploration utility like xplorer2, windows explorer is simply horrendous. I'm not sure if theres a freeware adaptation of it. If this is not an option, you can force windows explorer to reload by opening the task manager and terminating the drwtsn32.exe process (there will usually be two when Dr.Watson crashes, end the one that is taking up less memory) and Dr.Watson and Windows Explorer will function until the crash reoccurs (which it will).

Also, you might want to divide a folder with lots of files in it into numerous directories, it puts less stress on windows explorer. If the archives are in the .zip format, see if you can get a copy of WinRAR and put them in the RAR format. Or you could use 7zip, thats free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.