Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about every time I download a large file, it gets corrupted. It's been like this ever since I got my computer and it's really getting on my nerves. This happens with everything... sometimes things I download are unable to even be installed. It's really awful. What could be causing this? I've tried running both Vista and XP on it; Windows Update works on neither and I get various other problems with both, such as programs crashing semi-often.

Someone suggested that I run memtest86 and a hard drive defrag to see if they're the problem. I ran memtest86 and it completed 5 passes with 0 errors. Defrag finished with no errors, I think; it just says "Last run: 5/28/2008 11:39 AM" and doesn't mention anything about errors.

I also just flashed my BIOS at someone's suggestion. It seemed to go well... Upon reboot I had to reinstall my video card and motherboard drivers for some reason, and now there's a fan in my computer (not sure if it's my video card, CPU, or what) that won't go below 100% and it's as loud as a lawnmower. Maybe one of my driver downloads got corrupted as does everything else I download?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, sorry. Forgot to mention my system specs:

4GB G.Skill RAM.
Western Digital 750GB Hard drive
GeForce 8800 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Abit IP35 Pro motherboard

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an OCZ GameXStream 700W power supply.

I do run some games. I've played Bioshock, Counter-Strike:Source and other source games (Portal, Garry's Mod, TF2, etc.), SimCity 4, Neverwinter Nights 2, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I replaced the hard drive cable and it's still happening. I'll run memtest86+ just to double check (I ran memtest86 last time, no +) overnight tonight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, they do. Surprisingly I can actually play them most of the time (albeit with periodic crashes) but one example is the map 2fort on TF2 is too corrupted and my game crashes every time i try to play it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They do get corrupt with the steam downloader. I'm on a desktop with a cable connection and it's a cable running directly from my modem to my motherboard's ethernet port; there's no router or anything between them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.