Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. For the last couple of weeks I have been unable to get Windows updates. I access the site OK and get to the "now downloading" stage but the download never starts. Please advise, as I want to solve this problem a.s.a.p. having already missed two critical upodates.!! Cheers, Alpha. :sad:

·
1,438 Posts
Do you have a third party popup blocker? If so , it could be blocking the downloads.
Under tools / internet options/ advanced, make sure notify when downloads are complete is checked.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Spyware and viruses can also prevent you from performing Windows updates, for obvious reasons. You should try to thoroughly scan your computer.

You may also want to download CCleaner to clear your browser cache and all the old and unneeded files from your computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ericwaycotx said:
What kind of internet connection do you have?
Hi,Eric. Dial-up, but I've never had this problem before.

Very short of time at the moment but will reply to all you other helpful folk a.s.a.p. Cheers, Alpha. :smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oshwyn5 said:
Do you have a third party popup blocker? If so , it could be blocking the downloads.
Under tools / internet options/ advanced, make sure notify when downloads are complete is checked.
Hi and thanks. My setting is "Allow Web Pop-ups" and I have that "Notify" setting checked. Cheers, Alpha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Resolution said:
Spyware and viruses can also prevent you from performing Windows updates, for obvious reasons. You should try to thoroughly scan your computer.

You may also want to download CCleaner to clear your browser cache and all the old and unneeded files from your computer.
Hi and thanks. I'm rather paranoid about spyware and viruses etc and believe my set-up is as clean as possible. I also run CCleaner regularly. Cheers, Alpha.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
linderman said:
have you tried or looked into the "unofficial win 98SE service pack 2 " website very nice for win 98SE uesers
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
Many thanks Joe. I've installed the service pack and been able to get my Windows updates up-to-date. When I went back to the Windows Update site, I found I was able to download the two IE updates which were not covered by the service pack, so the downloading block seems to have been removed somehow also.! Problem apparerntly solved but can you tell me how I can get future updates from the same source if it happens again,as I haven't seen any mention of doing that in what I've downloaded.?
Cheers, Alpha. :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stu_computer said:
If you use the firefox brower here is a website that I find works better for updates than using iexplorer...
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
Thanks Stu but I ran into some difficulties with installing the plug-in and, having overcome them,found that the download kept stalling. I tried several mirrors with the same result,so I decided to have a look at Joe's suggestion. You'll see from my reply to him that it seems to have solved the problem (I hope!)!!
All the Best, Alpha. :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Alpha:

I dont know the site real well myself / I have downloaded the same package many times for win 98 machines but I havent ever noticed or inquired if they keep updates continuing or not ??? last I hear microsoft was suppose to discontinue the support for win 98 / as such I would think that would bring win 98 to a screeching hault ????

sorry to rain on your day :(

joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.