Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was downloading some things today and I accidentally unchecked the box that says "Always ask before downloading..." ( I cant remember exactly what it says) on the dialouge box prompt and now whenever I download something it just does it and I have no idea where its going! Could someone tell me where I can change it to make it prompt me again, I cant seem to find it anywhere. :confused:

Thanks if someone can help ;)

By the way, im using IE 6.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

I'm not sure where that option is off the top of my head..however I can offer you a fix to know where the files are being downloaded....

In Registry key HKCurrentUser\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer, add or change the value named Download Directory, changing its current data of <whatever> to whatever directory you want the files downloaded to.

** Standard Disclaimer **
The use of regedit.exe should only be attempted by someone with suitable level computer skill, improper modification of your Windows Registry could result in wide scale failures and ultimately turn your system into a paperweight. TheTechIsIn will not be held responsible for registry damages as a result of improper modifications. :D Just want to cover myself..dont want anyone coming to Dallas to break things I may need. :no:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheTechIsIn said:
** Standard Disclaimer **
The use of regedit.exe should only be attempted by someone with suitable level computer skill, improper modification of your Windows Registry could result in wide scale failures and ultimately turn your system into a paperweight. TheTechIsIn will not be held responsible for registry damages as a result of improper modifications. :D Just want to cover myself..dont want anyone coming to Dallas to break things I may need. :no:
O I dont like the sound of that lol.

Well this is a heck of a thing. I remembered that I can right click and Save Target As, but im trying to get some things offf flash sites so that dosent help. I just uninstalled IE6 and then redownloaded it and reinstalled but that did nothing. It kept all my current settings.

Dam my poor aim with a mouse!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Try this

tools > internet options > advanced

Then "I think" its the box labeled Enable install on demand

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
You can also try the following:

In Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Locate the extension for the file that you made the mistake on. Click Advanced and then check the Confirm open after download box.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bvalkor said:
You can also try the following:

In Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Locate the extension for the file that you made the mistake on. Click Advanced and then check the Confirm open after download box.

Hope this helps.
OOooooo TY TY TY TY TY TY! :D

That did it! I was just about to give up for the night and go to bed, but now you saved me and I have work to do. Many thanks! :pray: :pray: :type:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I never could figure out how to do that....
:) You learn something new almost everyday in the computer field.....if you don't your just blind or conceded. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I'm not mistaking that box displays every time you download, the the checkbox option is always available. I have done this before, and was stumped shortly while all downloads were just downloading then disappearing.

What did I do? Download an extremely large file that gave me time to check the box again. ;)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You are a resourceful one... but what do you do when your cable modem and processor communicate so well that when you find the rare 2GB file and go to download it, it still goes away before you can recheck it?.... I took the loser way outand did my
tri-yearly wipe/reinstall :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheTechIsIn said:

I never could figure out how to do that....
:) You learn something new almost everyday in the computer field.....if you don't your just blind or conceded. :D
I would have never thought to look there. I was sure it had to be an option in IE somewhere. I know I looked everywhere 5 times, its no wonder I couldnt find it.

At least now I would know what to do if my mouse clicking would get out of control again :winkgrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.