Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just downloaded & installed sp1 for winxp home edition. My volume control icon WILL adjust the volume, but instead of a "ding" corresponding to the actual level of volume coming from the speakers, I hear a "beep" from the sound card in the pc. Not a major problem, but annoying. Any suggestions? I checked the registry of another computer I have which is running xp pro. & have an extra sound setting in the hkey current user control panel setting. 2 different computers with different sound cards, tho. The one I am having trouble with at the moment is a
avance AC97 audio.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have some jacks that plug into the mobo that causes it to be beep, this can be simply disabled as I did for it's annoying to hear when the computer boots up. However, for the beeping and no bleeping from the OS is odd to contemplate that it was caused by installing service pack 1. I've installed it, and it didn't do it. Do you possibly have a sound card? Could've come loose from a pci slot or what not. If you're just using sound directly from your mobo all I can suggest is completely unplugging all plugins from the back of your computer and replugging them and rebooting your computer "entirely", meaning, shutting it down, and turning it back on. You could also try checking out sounds under control panel to see if anything out of the ordinary could be lurking about. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thought, but sound card does work. Problem is with the slider control on the volume icon & control panel settings. Instead of a "ding" at the volume level of the slider, I only get a "beep" from inside the tower of the pc. I thought it might possibly be a lost thread in the registry, but so far haven't been able to change anything that makes a difference. I have tried system restore, that didn't work, but sp1 locked up upon the restart after install & could only get to last known good setting. Everything else seems to be OK. It does identify as being sp1 in my computer properties. All settings in control panel match with another computer I have running winxp pro.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does the other computer have the same problem, that is if you also installed service pack 1 on it? If not, I'm thinking perhaps the service pack 1 wasn't installed "completely" due to the restart? Because when the computer restarts, it saves the new settings done to the computer, then restarts. In any case, I would try reinstalling service pack 1. If you would like to download it onto your hard drive, which I did, go to the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/sp1/download.asp

If this does not work, I'm sorry I have no idea then. Does sound interesting on your thought though, a lost thread, hmm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've been thinking about uninstalling sp1 & then reinstalling. May have to try that. Thanks for the thought:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this exact same problem and it's been bothering me for weeks. With a little help from Fred here :wink: I have managed to find a registry entry that fixes it. You can download it here. Now it works perfectly again. No idea what caused it but as there is a fix, it seems it's not a rare thing. Very strange.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.