Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Studio 1735 and I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1.

A week ago my computer froze with a black screen. My main concern was saving photos I hadn't yet backed up. A Dell software person walked me through reinstalling Vista and then drivers & Utilities, Dell Webcam and Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007. I was able to find photos, get online, and I thought I was back to normal.

Since then I found that I can't open .pdf files, watch movies from Netflix or download Vista service pack 2. I have tried numerous times to download Adobe Reader 9.1 I am able to save it to my desktop but when I double click on the icon and try to install it, this is the error I get:

Error 2755. Server returned unexpected error 1632
Attempting to install package
C:\Users\Jano\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader
9.1\Setup Files\AcroRead.msi.

When I tried to install Microsoft Silverlight I get this message:

Message ID: 1632
Verify that the Temp folder exists and that you can write to it. If it exists and you still cannot write to it, it may be that you do not have permissions, or that the disk is full.

I have checked the temp folder and it is less than half full and I am the administrator on the computer.

When I tried to download the Windows Vista Service Pack 2, the download failed (I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact error message).

I am not really a technical person, so I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas? I really appreciate your help!

·
Banned
3,544 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF, weaver400!

OK, this ones going to be a long thread since you listed so many problems, which I'm going to hopefully solve all of them for you so you can get your PC working again.

I'm going to put each (what I think could be called:) problem in quotes for us to see and work out :

my computer froze with a black screen
What were you doing when it did this?

Did you see any lines or any text while experiencing this?

How did it last, did you have to reboot?

I found that I can't open .pdf files
Were you ever before able to open .pdf files? If so, with what program? Is it still installed?

P-P-Please, go to your Start Orb
and down by the Search box, type cmd and right-click on what it displays up top, and select 'Run as Administrator' - you'll see a DOS screen which will be black, enter assoc pdf, what shows up?

. . . watch movies from Netflix
What file formats are you having trouble opening, and with what are you attempting to open these file formats with?

I have tried numerous times to download Adobe Reader 9.1 I am able to save it to my desktop
What web browser are you using to download the .msi file with?

Have you tried right-clicking on the .msi file and selecting 'Run as Administrator'?

Take a look at this link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for trying to help me.

When I got a black screen I had 3 windows open. One on facebook, one on gmail, and on the third I was looking at ebay. It was while navigating around on ebay that it froze. All I could see was a black screen with the cursor arrow that I could move around but nothing happened. I couldn't reboot or I wasn't able to restart even though I unplugged and removed battery. Nothing worked. I then called Dell support and the hardware people (I talked to 2) said it was a software problem. THey forwarded me to a software guy who walked me through the things I mentioned before.

I used to be able to open .pdf files before it black screened. I think I used Adobe Reader. It was definitely something free from Adobe because I have never paid for anything from them.

I have viewed many movies on Netflix but now they won't work, it says I need to download Silverlight, but the download fails.

When I followed your instructions after I typed assoc pdf and hit enter it says
File association not found for extension pdf

C:\Windows\system32>

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask
"What file formats are you having trouble opening, and with what are you attempting to open these file formats with?"
I am attempting to open .pdf files but can't find anything to open them with.

I am using Internet Explorer. I'm not sure what .msi file you are talking about. I can't find anything with that extension. (So sorry, I said I didn't really know anything and it is painfully obvious)

I did try right clicking the downloaded adobe icon on my desktop and clicked run as administrator but had the same outcome.

I had already read the info on the link you sent and followed the directions. Unless my temp folder is in actuality full and my computer is telling me the temp folder isn't full, I don't think that is the problem. Can my computer do that?

Thank you again for your help. I have Parkinson's disease and my computer is my link to the world. I really depend on it.

·
Banned
3,544 Posts
When I got a black screen I had 3 windows open. One on facebook, one on gmail, and on the third I was looking at ebay. It was while navigating around on ebay that it froze. All I could see was a black screen with the cursor arrow that I could move around but nothing happened. I couldn't reboot or I wasn't able to restart even though I unplugged and removed battery. Nothing worked. I then called Dell support and the hardware people (I talked to 2) said it was a software problem. THey forwarded me to a software guy who walked me through the things I mentioned before.
Hmm, that doesn't sound like a software problem, that's for sure. If you've completely removed all power resources from your laptop and even took out the battery, I see your problem as actually being impossible - never heard of such a thing. It needs power to be on, that's all.

Both Facebook and Ebay require Flash, I believe. Have you installed the latest Flash? - Go here . It's going to give you two options; 1: Safari, Opera, Firefox - 2: Internet Explorer. Choose the appropriate one - which would be Internet Explorer (as you've said below).

I used to be able to open .pdf files before it black screened. I think I used Adobe Reader. It was definitely something free from Adobe because I have never paid for anything from them.
Try a simpler program such as CoolPDFReader .

I have viewed many movies on Netflix but now they won't work, it says I need to download Silverlight, but the download fails.
How does it fail? What error do you get? Where are you downloading it from? Are you going here ?

Download Revo Uninstaller , can you see Silverlight as being installed? If so, uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller, using 'Advanced' method (the last option when selecting 'Uninstall')

When I followed your instructions after I typed assoc pdf and hit enter it says
File association not found for extension pdf

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask
"What file formats are you having trouble opening, and with what are you attempting to open these file formats with?"
I am attempting to open .pdf files but can't find anything to open them with.
The command I had you input into the Command Prompt will determine if the file format; .pdf, is assigned to any program. Meaning, when you double-click on .pdf, it will open with a certain file. The report showed us it wasn't assigned to anything. Look above where I mentioned CoolPDFReader.

I am using Internet Explorer. I'm not sure what .msi file you are talking about. I can't find anything with that extension. (So sorry, I said I didn't really know anything and it is painfully obvious)

I did try right clicking the downloaded adobe icon on my desktop and clicked run as administrator but had the same outcome.
You did exactly as I have asked, don't worry. I'll get back to this when we figure out some more of the issues above and below.

I had already read the info on the link you sent and followed the directions. Unless my temp folder is in actuality full and my computer is telling me the temp folder isn't full, I don't think that is the problem. Can my computer do that?
Take a look at this link .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've completely removed all power resources from your laptop and even took out the battery, I see your problem as actually being impossible - never heard of such a thing. It needs power to be on, that's all.
Guess I didn't explain that very well. After I couldn't reboot, I tried to turn it off by pushing the power button. It still showed the black screen with the cursor. I finally unplugged it and took out the battery, at which time, it did shut down. I reinserted the battery, replugged, hit the power button and it would ask if I wanted to restart in safe mode or normally. I tried each at different times and the same thing would happen. Black screen with cursor.

Both Facebook and Ebay require Flash, I believe. Have you installed the latest Flash? -
I do have the latest Flashplayer. It seems to work ok since I can navigate around Ebay and Facebook.

Try a simpler program such as CoolPDFReader
I was able to download CoolPDFReader and it works!!!!!! yeah. One problem solved.

In regard to the Silverlight download...
How does it fail? What error do you get? Where are you downloading it from? Are you going here ?[/FONT]
I tried to download Silverlight from the url you listed. The info on the page said I needed the Web Platform Installer, so I tried to download and run that. I get this error message
Windows Installer
The Temp folder is on a drive that is full or is inaccessible. Free up space on the drive or verify that you have write permission on the Temp folder.
Also, from
http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appsxml=www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml;www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml&appid=78;121
something weird is going on because the bar at the bottom that shows the progress of the page loading looks like the page is loading over and over and over.

After that failed, I clicked on the button at the right for Silverlight Windows Runtime. I end up with this error message
Unable to install Silverlight. Installation failed. more information When I click on more information I get
Verify that the Temp folder exists and that you can write to it. If it exists and you still cannot write to it, it may be that you do not have permissions, or that the disk is full.

OK, I'm a chicken about cleaning out the temp file. It contains files AND folders. Do I just delete EVERYTHING even though it says I can't because the file is being used in another window? I'm pretty skittish about this part.

Oh, I forgot to tell you something. I tried to perform a SFC Scan on the machine to fix any corrupt Windows Installation files from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936212

by following these steps:
Click Start
type cmd in the Start Search box.
Right-click cmd in the Programs list
click Run as administrator.
click Continue
At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

Then I get:
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I did download Revo Uninstaller just for the heck of it, but don't know if I should use it to uninstall anything

Thanks so much.

P.S. When I have been keying in my reply, the cursor randomly jumps to another part of the text and I keep having to erase letters that are randomly inserted in text I have already typed. I can't see any pattern or specific letter or key I'm hitting that is causing this. It is rather annoying. I think my computer has some serious issues. Hope it isn't the user who has the serious issues.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, great to see you using a computer with Parkinson's This model is quite heavy not really a laptop more a desktop replacement, I would not have recommended it, still if you like it then so be it. Now it shipped with a McAfee 15 mth or 3 mth trial and with office 2007 trial. Do you have both these programs running as the trial versions, you say the Dell tech had you use the recovery partition. If this is the case you will need to uninstall both McAfee and Office. Office can be removed from programs and features McAfee you will need to go to their web site and use their uninstaller. These free trials cause havoc unless they are uninstalled.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
I agree 100% -- get rid of McAfee. Download the McAfee Removal Tool (MRT) to your desktop. RIGHT-click on the MRT icon, select "Run as Admin". When it finishes, re-boot.

MRT - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Then reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply, OK

Use AVG for a/v if you wish - http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Download Adobe again. Then RIGHT-click on the desktop icon, select "Run as Administrator".

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Banned
3,544 Posts
Guess I didn't explain that very well. After I couldn't reboot, I tried to turn it off by pushing the power button. It still showed the black screen with the cursor. I finally unplugged it and took out the battery, at which time, it did shut down. I reinserted the battery, replugged, hit the power button and it would ask if I wanted to restart in safe mode or normally. I tried each at different times and the same thing would happen. Black screen with cursor.
So, you DID try Safe Mode? And . . . still 'black screen with cursor'?

I was able to download CoolPDFReader and it works!!!!!! yeah. One problem solved.
Amazing news, good to hear!

In regard to the Silverlight download...
I tried to download Silverlight from the url you listed. The info on the page said I needed the Web Platform Installer, so I tried to download and run that. I get this error message
Windows Installer
The Temp folder is on a drive that is full or is inaccessible. Free up space on the drive or verify that you have write permission on the Temp folder.
Also, from
http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appsxml=www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml;www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/2.0/WebProductList.xml&appid=78;121
something weird is going on because the bar at the bottom that shows the progress of the page loading looks like the page is loading over and over and over.

After that failed, I clicked on the button at the right for Silverlight Windows Runtime. I end up with this error message
Unable to install Silverlight. Installation failed. more information When I click on more information I get

OK, I'm a chicken about cleaning out the temp file. It contains files AND folders. Do I just delete EVERYTHING even though it says I can't because the file is being used in another window? I'm pretty skittish about this part.
What temp folder are you looking at? - What's it's directory location? Are you the Owner of this, meaning, when you right-click on whatever the folder is called and select 'Properties', then 'Security', then 'Advanced', then 'Owner' - under 'Current Owner', do you see your username?

Oh, I forgot to tell you something. I tried to perform a SFC Scan on the machine to fix any corrupt Windows Installation files from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936212

by following these steps:
Click Start
type cmd in the Start Search box.
Right-click cmd in the Programs list
click Run as administrator.
click Continue
At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

Then I get:
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
Try running SFC without the Vista DVD, then with the Vista DVD - do a variation. Does this help? You entered and did everything correctly too, by the way - nice job.

I did download Revo Uninstaller just for the heck of it, but don't know if I should use it to uninstall anything
So you have no problems with Flash Player? Without looking at the rest of the thread at the moment, I remember you saying something along those lines - maybe I misunderstood?

When I have been keying in my reply, the cursor randomly jumps to another part of the text and I keep having to erase letters that are randomly inserted in text I have already typed. I can't see any pattern or specific letter or key I'm hitting that is causing this. It is rather annoying. I think my computer has some serious issues. Hope it isn't the user who has the serious issues.
This happens when your mousepad on your laptop gets brushed up on by your wrist while you're typing - I had this same exact problem, no joke at all - even look at one of my older threads where I ask this question.

You'll need to download and install a program called TouchFreeze , this will actually stop all mousepad behavior when keys are being pressed, thus stopping your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still 'black screen with cursor'?
yes, no matter what I tried, it resulted in a black screen with cursor that I could move around

What temp folder are you looking at? - What's it's directory location? Are you the Owner of this', do you see your username?
The folder is C:\Windows\Temp
to get to this temp folder I just typed temp in the start box.
I am the owner I guess. I am confused with why there are 5 names listed here. I'll list them and you can tell me if it looks normal.

Type Name Permission Inherited From Apply to
Allow Users (Jano-PC\Users) Special <not inherited> This folder and subfolders
Allow Administrators (Jano-PC\... Full control <not inherited> This folder,subfolders and files
Allow SYSTEM Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
Allow CREATOR OWNER Special <not inherited> Subfolders and files only
Allow Jano (Jano-PC\Jano) Read & execute <not inherited> This folder and subfolders

Try running SFC without the Vista DVD, then with the Vista DVD - do a variation. Does this help?
what do you mean "without the DVD"? I didn't have a DVD inserted when I was trying to run SFC.

So you have no problems with Flash Player? Without looking at the rest of the thread at the moment, I remember you saying something along those lines - maybe I misunderstood?
If I can navigate around facebook and ebay, what else should I look for to be an indication that I have a problem with flashplayer?

Glad to have the mystery about the jumping text figured out. I'm not surprised that I'm inadvertently touching the keypad since I have pretty bad tremors. Thanks so much for clearing that up.

Elsewhere in these forums people gave opinions about the best free virus scanner. I used Avant and had some interesting things show up. Should I worry about these now or wait until the issues we have been trying to resolve are cleared up, then address the findings from Avant in another forum? Could a virus have caused my current problems?

Oh, to answer the other two people who have offered help. I am not running the free McAfee or Microsoft Office. We purchased both McAfee and Office after my computer was a year old. Should I still be concerned that one of these purchased products is causing the problem?

This whole thing feels like peeling an onion. Solve one thing and there are always more layers!

Thank you again for volunteering your time to help novice computer users like me. It is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
3,544 Posts
Hmm . . .

PLEASE, right-click on C:\Windows\Temp and select 'Delete' - You'll then be prompted to select either 'Yes' or 'No', select 'Yes'.

Now if UAC kicks in (Vista's Administrative Rights) - Try this .

I suggest backing up your McAfee activation key and deleting it using the removal tool jcgriff2 has posted above - then download and install a trial version of NOD32 , it's what I've personally been using and testing for quite awhile now, it's the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi TJ, Sorry this has taken me so long but I was in the hospital.

I tried to delete the temp folder contents as you instructed above, and it said I couldn't because the file was in use. I closed all applications and windows and still got this response when I tried.

Next I backed up my McAfee activation key, deleted McAfee, then tried to download the trial version of NOD32, but the download failed. (I emailed their support to let them know and see what they thought but haven't heard from them.) I didn't want to remain defenseless, so I ended up successfully downloading what jcgriff2 suggested (avg).

I received a new sewing/embroidery machine for my birthday 2 weeks ago. It is the kind of machine that hooks up to a computer in order to embroider specific designs. I tried to download the software that comes with it on my computer but it requires Quicktime to run and the Quicktime download failed. It gave me the following message:

the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755.

I had originally thought that I just couldn't download ANYTHING on my computer, but that obviously isn't true because the avg program downloaded. Would you have any idea why the Singer sewing/embroidery machine software doesn't download? I'm very anxious to get started with this machine and this is very frustrating.

Thanks for your help.
weaver400

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Next I backed up my McAfee activation key, deleted McAfee, then tried to download the trial version of NOD32, but the download failed. (I emailed their support to let them know and see what they thought but haven't heard from them.) I didn't want to remain defenseless, so I ended up successfully downloading what jcgriff2 suggested (avg).

Hi -

Did you use the McAfee Removal Tool as I provided?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/2324599-post7.html

jcgriff2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.