Hi,

At the moment I have my system setup with memory such that lshw outputs:

Code:
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 27
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 768MiB
        *-bank:0
             description: DIMM DDR Fast-paged Pseudo-static 400 MHz (2.5 ns)
             product: PartNum1
             vendor: Manufacturer1
             physical id: 0
             serial: SerNum1
             slot: DIMM0
             size: 512MiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)
        *-bank:1
             description: DIMM DDR Fast-paged Pseudo-static 400 MHz (2.5 ns)
             product: PartNum2
             vendor: Manufacturer2
             physical id: 1
             serial: SerNum2
             slot: DIMM1
             size: 256MiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)
with respect to my modules. I want to upgrade this to replace the 256MB one with a 1GB stick (the first time I'll actually be fiddling around inside my machine too), but after I found the manual for my motherboard (well, I think its the manual given it has the same model number as one on my motherboard) it was saying stuff like:
• This motherboard supports one single-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMM per
channel only.
• This motherboard may only detect PC2700 (DDR333) system memory
when you install two PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs in one channel or when
you install double-sided PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMs.
along with diagrams of the motherboard and a schematic of the possible configurations.

However, my confusion arises because my motherboard has a slightly different layout to that in the manual. The manual has two pairs of strips (the blue and black strips) but my board only has the two single black slots with empty circuit board where the blue strips are. So I'm not sure if I still have the two separate channels which means it doesn't matter if I use a single or double sided module or if between them they make a single channel in which case I ain't too sure what my final configuration will be...

I've had a look at the "hi density/low density" sticky here thinking it might help but I'm still not sure, but I think my problem is not really understanding how my board has set up its RAM stuff.

So yeah, I was hoping someone could help me understand this before going and getting the RAM.

Any help would be really appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah, yes, sorry, I should have said. It's a branded PC, Packard Bell. I've no idea of the model of machine anymore I'm afraid though.

As for the scanner, it crashes in my wine install so I can't run it...

Spending a few minutes on the Packard Bell website I think I may have found the specification of my machine with this as info about the RAM:
# Dual channel 128-bit DDR SDRAM memory interface
# DDR400 SDRAM support provides up to 6.4 GB/second bandwidth
# Up to 2 GB DRAM support with two unbuffered DIMMs
So does this mean that each strip is its own channel and I can install whatever PC3200 chip in one without messing with the other one too?

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Dual channel should be matched pairs, single channel can be any 2 sticks. Usually dual channel is faster then single. The corsair scanner won't run under Wine, I didn't notice the OS listed on left.

If it's a Packard Bell then it's a OEM board and retail board specs won't be the same.

If that is your board it appears it should be run with a matched pair of DDR 400 up to 1 gig in each slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.