Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Abit Fatal1ty AN8 board with amd 3200+ socket 939 cpu and am running windows xp pro. Everything on the board is SATA. i recently switched out my fan and heatsink from the stock to a thermaltake. that is when my issues started getting as bad as they are. when i boot up i get a message on one of the first screens that says "The System is Running in Fail-Safe State. Please Re-Check CMOSBIOS" So I check the bios, everything seems alright. I exit the bios and it says it again, i hit F1 to skip that. Tries to boot up into windows but then i get a Boot Disk Error Please Insert System Disk and Hit Enter. Thinking it was the hard drive, I bought a new one.....I was wrong. It still does it and I get a blue screen when trying to install windows. I really dont know what to do.If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
check that you did not dislodge something while fitting the new fan
cable connections
plugs
reseat the ram and video
check you have not left a floppy disc in the drive
post bsod error messages in full
clear the cmos and then reoptimise

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
what operatin system are you using? if you are using windows xp and you cant get to load windows, then try fixing the master boot record if that helps. boot up with your windows xp cd, dont forget to go into the bios and change the first boot device to cdrom.

then save settings and exit the bios. afterwards the computer should boot to the windows xp cd. then on the main console choose repair. then just simply hit enter when the computer ask you for an admin password if you dont have one. then on C: type in either "fixboot" or "fixmbr" dont matter which one and type either in without the "". this should only take a second and then restart the computer. try to boot into windows now and see if that helps.

can you get into safe mode?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i almost got into safe mode once, but it took me right back around to the screen that told me System was running in a fail safe state, and it would just be a constant circle around that whole thing. i get no beeps on startup or anything, that is why i am so confused.......

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
The computer worked fine before the hsf change. Barring knocking anything
loose, I would suspect the hsf install. Logic would dictate that to me.
Good luck.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
There was nothing in the BIOS that would indicate that you had set any different boot settings? My Gigabyte board has something like that to troubleshoot hardware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only problem that was goin on before the hsf install was it runnin kinda choppy, scrolling **** like that. i didnt really think to much bout it then but now it makes sense......had hard drive scanned for bad sectors it seemed fine, didnt get a chance to virus scan or do a mock boot up on another computer though so i dunno. i have gotten to the point where i can get a windows disk to load up but had to take pci sata controller out due to conflicts with the install. tried installin with an ide cd/dvd drive and it wont read the disk, bios recognizes the drive but wont read. keep getting boot disk read error. havent cleared cmos, dont really want to erase something that may help a "true techie" in fixing my problem. as if u havent noticed im not a "true techie"!! just a confused one! i dont know whats up with the cd drive not reading, possibly lost ide driver but dont know???

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i recently switched out my fan and heatsink from the stock to a thermaltake. that is when my issues started getting as bad as they are.
you need to make sure you didnt dislodge the memory or any other items as dai stated.

it too much of a coincidence...

post back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright well i cleared my cmos and reoptimized. the bios now recognizes my cd/dvd drive. i am ready to reinstall xp, i am now having issues with getting my raid drivers installed. i am using a usb floppy drive and after it loads the drivers and setup finishes loading all the other things it loads and continues to say at the bottom of the screen, "Setup is now starting windows". The setup process freezes after this, i dont know what i need to do. could my usb floppy drive be doing this?What can i do?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Typically USB devices dont work correctly until windows is up and running / so i would try to scrounge up a regular floppy disk

when you get windows running I would keep any eye on your system temps and voltages

here is a monitoring prog / free to try
http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will definetly try that internal floppy, i have real-time temp and voltage monitoring in my bios everything stays pretty cool from what ive seen...thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.