Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm serious! I've never touched a MAC before two hours ago. But a relative called me saying that she'd ordered a pci wireless card and could I put it in for her. Being the dummy I am I said sure. She has a MAC with a 9.2 os. I put in the card shut the case and we turned it on. Nothing happened. I put the disk in the cd and the fact that a wireless disk was in the cd popped up on the desktop. OK, now we're smoking! I double click the icon on the desktop and window pops up with the contents of the cd disk in it. I double click the setup.exe and a message pops up that says this document cannot be opened as the application originating it cannot be found. I look around a bit at the other applications on the disk and see a file that says STA_CARDBUS_MPCI_PCIE_MACOS.DMG and I say AHA! and double click that one and a message pops up saying- Could not find the applications program that created the document named STA_ (etc.). To open the document select an alternet program with or without translation. It then gives me a list of what lookes like .exe programs and it is here that I am totally lost. How do I install the drivers from the install disk to the systems folder on a MAC machine? Please!!
Juney4:sigh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to ask, can a win xp os be installed on a MAC machine? Never thought about it before but my sis in law was wondering if I couldn't get the MAC online could I put on win xp and get it going that way. The machine was a giveaway and she's trying to get by as cheaply as possible.
Juney4

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,638 Posts
Being it is running OS 9, you'll waste more money trying to get it on line then you will with just going and buying a new Mac Mini, or some cheap Dell. That Mac can not run Windows. Also, there is pretty much no way to get that PCI card to work in that Mac.
Another question, what Mac is it? Goto the Apple menu in the upper left and select About This Mac, it should give the model, OS, and RAM. If you are lucky enough that it is a G3, then there is a very small chance that we could get it to run an old version of OS X, and then maybe get it online, but doubtful wirelessly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sinclair tm,
Thanks extremely much for answering. I'll get the info about what mac it is this afternoon and let you know. I do hope it is the G3 as at this time she's separating from her spouse and is trying go it alone. Money is squeaky tight and I've none to loan, so my fingers are crossed. Thanks again!
Juney4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.