Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when i came home from school I decided to clean my heatsink/CPU fan.
When I put it back i pluged the fan in etc. turned it on but I didnt hear a POST beep it just keeps running and looking pretty.

I have tried
-Resesting CMOS
-Moving CPU postion
-Reinstalling CPU fan/heatsink

I've seen a hundred forums today and from what i've seen is the motherboard,CPU, or PSU is dead.

My System specs are

P4 3.4ghz w/HT
2g DDR2 ram
nVIDIA 7950gt KO 512mb (got this yesterday and installed it didnt have a problem with it
480w PSU
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

When you said you cleaned it, did you take it completely out, or exactly how did you clean it? If you took it clear out, have you checked for:

Bent pins on the CPU
A clamp that is not snapped clear in (those can be hard to get back in)
Fan plugged back in the correct place on the board
Loose wires that came loose while cleaning like the molex plug

Double check those and get back with more information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I completey took the fan and heatsink and cleaned them with a paper towel untill there was no dust then i put it back in im sure its the right place

My cpu doesnt have any pins on in it just circles that line up when i put it in

ive checked many plugs and found none that are loose

also after its on for awhile it turns it's self off

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I completey took the fan and heatsink and cleaned them with a paper towel

Mistake number one, you never use a paper towel to clean these

untill there was no dust then i put it back in im sure its the right place

If you didn't prepare it properly and use Artic Silver, mistake number two

My cpu doesnt have any pins on in it just circles that line up when i put it in

Yes, it does have pins, I suspect you didn't take the CPU out, but only the heatsink off the CPU, which is O.K. as long as you reapply thermal paste after a PROPER cleaning

ive checked many plugs and found none that are loose

also after its on for awhile it turns it's self off

That (turning itself off) is an idication that you have not put it back together the correct way including cleaning it properly and re-applying clean thermal paste when you put it back together.

Here is an article that you need to read and follow, you must clean the CPU properly and re-apply thermal paste. Post back with questions/concerns. Here is the article:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Also, what is the brand name of that power supply and how many amps per rail (ie: +12 = 15amps as an example) that will be found on the side of the power supply. IMHO, your power supply is way underpowered for this unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked fine yesterday with the PSU also when i took it out theres a small layer of the grease could the turning off be becuase the CPU overheats?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It worked fine yesterday with the PSU also when i took it out theres a small layer of the grease could the turning off be becuase the CPU overheats?
Isn't that what Tumbleweed just said? Whenever you remove the heatsink and fan you MUST renew the thermal grease between it and the CPU. Use a small amount so that you get a nice even sheen on the metal part of the CPU top. Carefully reinstall the heatsink/fan combo making sure you keep it level. Lock it all back into place making sure the clips all catch properly. Power up and test.

Overheating is certainly indicated here and, if not rectified, can cause serious damage to your system.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Any good computer store will have thermal paste. Try Best Buy, Staples, a local computer store. If you buy online, then Newegg.com is the most reasonable. Just don't try to use the computer until you get that done the way it is supposed to be done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you qll for your help im currenty buying some Artic Silver 5 thermal grease and i will get back to you if it doesnt work. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We'd be interested in the result. I believe it will solve the problem for you.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Feel free to ask any questions of any of us. We work as a team on this forum so whoever is on when you ask the question can help you. Good luck and please follow those directions. Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just put in my old Video card and i noticed that the PSU was alot louder than when the New 7950gt was in there. My old card is a SAPH x800XL 512mb
The computer would still worked with the new card and the 480w PSU it was only after i cleaned the heatsink i got the problem.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That PSU is still too small, and you will probably run into issues later on. It also may not carry enough amps. What are the specs? Look on the side to find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Today counted the seconds till the computer shut off i got 16sec,14sec,and 10sec then after a few seconds i waited for the next test i got 15sec does that rule out bad PSU and motherboard?

Also My PSU is a Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just came home from seeing family i turn on the old computer and i get POST(beep) but shortly after it turned itself off so im guessing its just because. its overheating. Still no thermal grease its still shipping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.