Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully, i am not asking the same question the 100th time:
I may answered my own question, but just want to make sure, here we go.. I have 3 pcs,
a.) XP Pro (pc)
b.) 2000 Pro (pc)
c.) 2000 not pro (laptop)
They all have internet access, the laptop is the only wireless one, the rest are connected thru cat 5 to a wireless router and all in a home, not business..
Now, pc a & b can see each other along with file sharing, however the laptop cant' see no one on the network, A & B pc's both can't see the laptop. Is it because the laptop is not windows 2000 pro?? They all have the same config, same network name, same sharing of docs.. ONe thing i did with the laptop, was connect a crossover cat 5 directly with with pc A.) and that is the only way the laptop and pc A.) share files, why is that?? Thanks..Need more info, then let me know, hopefully i gave a good descrip instead of vague..

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
It does not matter if it's pro or not...you can network any combination of windows all the way down to 98 I believe (you may even be able to network 95, but I've never tried).

In order to share files you have to have file/printer sharing enabled, and they must all be on the same workgroup. Then after all that is setup, make sure you have files shared or else the other computers will not be able to see it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
-----------------------------------------------------
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.