Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a laptop, but there's one problem that I'm wondering! Does smell that comes from food, burning charcoal influence devices in the laptop? Because when my mother cooks, there is much of smell of food flying from the kitchen to my room, and my neighbours often uses charcoal to cook! And I'm wondering if the smell can come in the laptop through laptop's fan when it runs! Since I see a lot of warnings say that we shouldn't smoke cigarettes near laptops because its smoke can run into laptop and corrode devices such as chip, mainboard, but I'm not sure about other smell like food, charcoal's smell! Please help me to explain it, thank you alot!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well TBH my understanding of such a thing is limited and I'm open to correction if someone knows more (we are all here to learn), but I would say no, and I would define it as being because smell isn't smoke, and yes smoke is very bad for ANY electrical device I guess, but more so PC's, but smell itself wouldn't do anything I don't think.
I would not suggest telling your mum her cooking stinks unless you have a death wish ROFL :4-hit: :biggrinje
But as a thought can you suggest about an extractor fan ? it will help a bit, but I think all of us are in the same boat when it comes to cooking smells, hope that helps a bit anyway.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
chemi,

first off, welcome to TSF - the best place on the net...

Can smells effect the performance of your laptop? Doubtful.

However, there's more in stuff kitchen air than just smells. Have you ever wiped down the top of a kitchen cabinet after a while of it not being cleaned? It's a pretty sticky greasy dusty mess. And these CAN effect your laptop. You're correct that the fans of the laptop will draw this dirty air in. And we all know how dust loves electronic components.

All that said, I'd not recommend a constant diet of kitchen use (sorry I had to get that in somewhere :rolleyes: ) but occasionial use probably won't do much damage.

As far as your neighbor burning charcoal, if you see a coating of fine soot after he burns then yes, this too can enter your computer (and your lungs too).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.